Stihl 290 start problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Highbeam said:
The video shows what I do and what I mean when I say "drop start". It is a combination of pulling the cord one way and moving the saw the other way. Nothing is dropping in mid-air and you don't just hold the cord. It allows a very fast and full pull. Seems perfectly safe vs. bending over and stuffing your foot into the handle, or stuffing the handle between your legs and using your left hand.

I drop start sometimes and have no problem with experienced cutters who do, but I have to disagree respectfully that it's safer. With the recommended methods, the bar is not moving, which eliminates one potential injury vector to your lower body. Even with the chain brake engaged or if the saw isn't running, the cutters can still get ya.

TreePointer said:
Highbeam said:
The video shows what I do and what I mean when I say "drop start". It is a combination of pulling the cord one way and moving the saw the other way. Nothing is dropping in mid-air and you don't just hold the cord. It allows a very fast and full pull. Seems perfectly safe vs. bending over and stuffing your foot into the handle, or stuffing the handle between your legs and using your left hand.

I drop start sometimes and have no problem with experienced cutters who do, but I have to disagree respectfully that it's safer. With the recommended methods, the bar is not moving, which eliminates one potential injury vector to your lower body. Even with the chain brake engaged or if the saw isn't running, the cutters can still get ya.
I agree, not sure how a drop start is safer than having your foot in the handle with the saw "planted" on the ground.

Brand new gas that I had just mixed, but saw did same thing last year too as well. We don't get that crap gas up here, it's just reg gas with no moonshine mixed in.

I don't do anything like that. I hold back handle with right hand and use left hand to pull starter. Out of habbit of running old saws that you had to give throttle to get running I guess.

TreePointer said:
mayhem said:
Is there another way to do it? I've never started a saw that wasn't on the ground with my foot in the rear handle. Can't imagine holding it between the legs being any good...even with the decomp button pushed my 359 has enough compression to just about hold the saw up by the cord. Saw on the ground secured by your foot lets you pull the cord like you mean it.

Whats a drop start you guys are talking about?

Putting the rear handle between your legs is actually one of the two methods recommended in modern saw manuals for starting a saw safely (the other is on the ground with your foot in the rear handle). It sounded to me that the OP wasn't using either of those methods, which is fine, but may not allow him to make sudden strong pulls without losing control.

Drop starting? Although not recommended as a safe method in saw manuals, many experienced sawyers start their saws this way. Instead of pulling the cord away from a stationary saw, you hold the cord and let the saw drop in mid air. There are many YouTube videos of this. Here's one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJV4uaFuwV8

I didn't say drop starting was safer, I guess I wasn't too clear. How's this.... drop starting is not particularly dangerous when compared to all other similarly unsafe acts that you will be performing while running the chainsaw.

Highbeam said:
I didn't say drop starting was safer, I guess I wasn't too clear. How's this.... drop starting is not particularly dangerous when compared to all other similarly unsafe acts that you will be performing while running the chainsaw.

lol, your right there...I just dont drop start because I have had a starter rope break. Other than that no big deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.