stihl 290

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeheat

Minister of Fire
[del][/del]Found a project on craigslist for a 290 farmboss with bad piston and cylinder for 40.00 Is it worth fixing , I want a winter project. or should I keep my money?

If you want to later resell..... make sure it is in good cosmetic condition, that will be the key when later selling. Be sure to include the word Farm Boss in any ad. You will have to use an aftermarket p/c in the rebuild to be able to make any money on the resale. Then you'll have to decide whether to disclose that to a potential buyer.

If you want to keep it for yourself, I'd pass. There are much better project saws out there.

Offer 20.00 not a penny more. Not many will take on a 290 you can quickly get in over your head in money. Unless you have a couple setting around already.

smokinjay said:
Offer 20.00 not a penny more. Not many will take on a 290 you can quickly get in over your head in money. Unless you have a couple setting around already.
Yep!
I'd buy it cheap and find another with a good cylinder. Then you have a parts saw.

Thanks guys this saw is already in pieces so I would hope all the parts are there. I will offer 20 and see what happens

estang said:
Thanks guys this saw is already in pieces so I would hope all the parts are there. I will offer 20 and see what happens

I charge 40.00 an hour on touched. 100.00 an hour if you touch it...lol Keep that in mind! ;-)

Offer 20, but I'd pay up to 40 and then drop a 390 piston and cylinder in there.

Danno77 said:
Offer 20, but I'd pay up to 40 and then drop a 390 piston and cylinder in there.

Yeah, don't waste your time re-jugging it with a 290/029. Look for a piston/jug from a 039/MS390 instead. Direct swap onto the 290 and a hell of a power boost. Takes it to 65cc.

jay ..i got a pretty nice running ms290...how much for u to beef it up into a 390?....and u get to keep the 290 stuff u pull off of it

MasterMech said:
Danno77 said:
estang said:
looks to have too many parts missing but the other saw he is selling might be a good buy for someone here

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/grd/2783855619.html
That isn't worth 40. BTDT

Really? You wouldn't give $40 for OEM P&C, Crank assy, and a rewind starter? He'll get it.
Sure, if I had a saw that needed ALL of those parts. BTW, you can have good compression on a saw that has a nearly destroyed lower end. I'm wondering why this particular saw was condemned to parts status. Someone should ask the seller that question, because when I see a saw that has parts missing I assume they were used to put on a good saw. For example, if I have a saw with a bad coil and carb, they would go with the parts saw, why do I need them. What happened to the bad parts? I must not be trusting, I've just seen to many saws sold without significant, but small pieces so that you can't test the saw. It's like the infamous really clean looking saw with a broken starter cord. "works great, but you can't start it, trust me!"

Danno77 said:
MasterMech said:
Danno77 said:
estang said:
looks to have too many parts missing but the other saw he is selling might be a good buy for someone here

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/grd/2783855619.html
That isn't worth 40. BTDT

Really? You wouldn't give $40 for OEM P&C, Crank assy, and a rewind starter? He'll get it.
Sure, if I had a saw that needed ALL of those parts. BTW, you can have good compression on a saw that has a nearly destroyed lower end. I'm wondering why this particular saw was condemned to parts status. Someone should ask the seller that question, because when I see a saw that has parts missing I assume they were used to put on a good saw. For example, if I have a saw with a bad coil and carb, they would go with the parts saw, why do I need them. What happened to the bad parts? I must not be trusting, I've just seen to many saws sold without significant, but small pieces so that you can't test the saw. It's like the infamous really clean looking saw with a broken starter cord. "works great, but you can't start it, trust me!"

Many 170's/017's were condemned to the parts heap for carb work or a bad coil.

Most customers flinched once the estimate got over the $70 mark and decided they really needed a 250 or 290 instead. Happens all the time.

Bought a P&C from ebay. It's a chinese part but aren't they all these days? Came to $65 shipped, with exchange.

TreePointer said:
babzog said:
Bought a P&C from ebay. It's a chinese part but aren't they all these days? Came to $65 shipped, with exchange.

Not all.

Meteor = Italy
NWP = Taiwan

Plus Mahle from Germany is OEM installed on Dolmar/Makita saws.Havent seen any of them sold separately though.

Thistle said:
Plus Mahle from Germany is OEM installed on Dolmar/Makita saws.Havent seen any of them sold separately though.

I forgot about Mahle. This past summer, I installed 79cc Mahle P&C kit from Bailey's onto a Makita 6401.

Status
Not open for further replies.