Stihl Farm Boss

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The local Stihl dealer was closed yesterday. I tried the homemade gasket and that was the problem along with the carb, so I know to get a new one. I'll either call stihl which I know they should have them in stock, or get my own made. Its sucking in too much air.

I took the cover off my Farm boss 041 there are two screws on the bar side of the carb but the idle screw is mounted on the side of the alumium casing surounding the carb middle bar side

Yup thats what I got.

Bring it to a dealer and let him set the carb.
I am pretty good with small engines and wish I brought my Jonsered back to the dealer sooner, it runs like a top 2 years later.
$40.oo well spent.

I usually adjust the carbs on my saws myself but if I am bringing a saw to my dealer for something I will have them do the carb then too!

That is the whole idea of dealing with a servicing dealer.

Craig

babalu beat me to it. If the Stihl has been sitting that long, it's time for a little professional mainenance. I'm the king of diy and the cheapest sob you'll ever meet but for a saw of that quality I'd make sure it got the attention it needed.

David

Well .50 a piece and its fixed. Got it tuned and tried it out, almost buried the bar and she cut like butter. Clutch and all is fine. Thanks for all of the suggestions. Tommorrow Me and my 025 and 041 are going cutting. Had some elm trees go down during the last winds we had. I'll cut the dead down stuff and try not to touch the pile, thank god for a mild winter so far.

Glad to hear you got that saw all set! Now just get it retrofitted with a chain brake and you will be in business! :)

Craig

Its possible to add a chain brake? Its a pretty old saw.

laynes69 said:
Its possible to add a chain brake? Its a pretty old saw.
I don't think so. I know on my MS460 the brake is in the saw not part of the side cover like on other saws.

Be extra careful when using that saw, always be aware where the tip of the bar is to avoid contact and cause a kickback.

Good Luck!

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.