Stihl MS 290 and 20" bar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mecreature said:
OK quick question...

I have eyed the 290 for sometime now. Kind of hesitant with all the "you can only run an 18" chain thoughts".
;-P

That's absolutely ridiculous. The 290 comes from Stihl with a 20" bar and 3/8" chain. You can optionally put on a smaller bar and chain but do you really think that Stihl would sell a saw combination that did not work?

Stihl will have a "recommended range of guide bar lengths" for each saw. For the 290 it's 16-20". Stihl has a tendency of including in its specifications a bar on the long end that's beyond what is optimal (desirable, IMO) for chain speed in hardwoods. It also has to do with the oiler output and kickback safety.

Another example is the 361, Stihl recommends up to a 25" bar for that model, but it really is a dog when buried in hardwoods and the oiler barely can keep up. It will do fine in softwoods, and that's why you'll see it with a 25" bar out west but almost never here in western PA.

Around here, the most common bar length on display and sold by dealers is 18" for the 290. How do I know this? I asked at my three closest dealers.

Quite right:

MS 290 STIHL FARM BOSS® Chain Saw

DISPLACEMENT
56.5 cc (3.45 cu. in.)

ENGINE POWER
2.8 kW (3.8 bhp)

WEIGHT
5.9 kg (13.0 lbs.)

FUEL CAPACITY
560 cc (18.9 oz.)

CHAIN OIL CAPACITY
330 cc (11.2 oz.)

OILOMATIC® CHAIN
.325" RMC3

RECOMMENDED RANGE
OF GUIDE BAR LENGTHS
40 to 50 cm (16" to 20")
STIHL ROLLOMATIC®

NOTE: STIHL recommends #3634 (26 RMC3 67) OILOMATIC® saw chain and 16" 3003 813 6813 Ematic™ guide bar combination.

I still have a hard time imagining I'd enjoy a 20" bar even on my MS310 with as much bogging I get in hardoods with an 18". But that's just me.

MS290 was a top seller when I sold Stihl out of a dealership. We sold 99.9% of them with 20" Bars and .325 Full Comp Green-Label Chain. Yeah, usually 26RM2-81 which I think is a bit conservative for any saw user, even newbies. If my customer was somewhat experienced I would suggest buying yellow label chains for "spares". The dealership I worked for sold saws with pretty much the longest recomended bar on them. MS290's, 260's, and 270's all got sold with 20" bars not because it was the optimal bar for the saw, but because it was what the customer wanted. And to be honest, most of the staff, including management, didn't know any better. If I had it my way, I would have taken those 3 saws built on that chassis, the 290, 310, and 390; and set them up with 16", 18" and 20" bars respectively.

The MS290 is certainly capable of running a 20" bar but if you're looking to keep up with your buddy's MS361 you're gonna be disappointed.

MasterMech said:
MS290 was a top seller when I sold Stihl out of a dealership. We sold 99.9% of them with 20" Bars and .325 Full Comp Green-Label Chain. Yeah, usually 26RM2-81 which I think is a bit conservative for any saw user, even newbies. If my customer was somewhat experienced I would suggest buying yellow label chains for "spares". The dealership I worked for sold saws with pretty much the longest recomended bar on them. MS290's, 260's, and 270's all got sold with 20" bars not because it was the optimal bar for the saw, but because it was what the customer wanted. And to be honest, most of the staff, including management, didn't know any better. If I had it my way, I would have taken those 3 saws built on that chassis, the 290, 310, and 390; and set them up with 16", 18" and 20" bars respectively.

The MS290 is certainly capable of running a 20" bar but if you're looking to keep up with your buddy's MS361 you're gonna be disappointed.

One would hope so as the 361 is/was nearly double the price of the 290. . . .

Highbeam said:
mecreature said:
OK quick question...

I have eyed the 290 for sometime now. Kind of hesitant with all the "you can only run an 18" chain thoughts".
;-P

That's absolutely ridiculous. The 290 comes from Stihl with a 20" bar and 3/8" chain. You can optionally put on a smaller bar and chain but do you really think that Stihl would sell a saw combination that did not work?

That is kind of what I was getting at. But I don't have a 290 to judge by.
I am not really talking will it do it but how well. Look at the post directly after yours quoted.

stee6043 wrote
"I still have a hard time imagining I’d enjoy a 20†bar even on my MS310 with as much bogging I get in hardoods with an 18â€. But that’s just me."

My hesitation would only push me up the line to the 311 or 390 with a 20. The 362 is getting a bit up there.

balancing everything I have read here and there. I would opt for the 18 on the 290 for a first stab at it. (but what do I know)

mecreature said:
Highbeam said:
mecreature said:
OK quick question...

;-P

I am not really talking will it do it but how well. Look at the post directly after yours quoted.

stee6043 wrote
"I still have a hard time imagining I’d enjoy a 20†bar even on my MS310 with as much bogging I get in hardoods with an 18â€. But that’s just me."

My hesitation would only push me up the line to the 311 or 390 with a 20. The 362 is getting a bit up there.

balancing everything I have read here and there. I would opt for the 18 on the 290 for a first stab at it. (but what do I know)

Splitting hairs and this site is good for that...lol With that said 2 inchs is really not going to make or break the deal. Heck I can make an 880 stick in the wood. Its all purssure and know where and what rpm' that saw cuts best. With that said and the poulan as a back-up your going to be better off 60cc+

smokinjay said:
mecreature said:
Highbeam said:
mecreature said:
OK quick question...

;-P

stee6043 wrote

Splitting hairs and this site is good for that...lol With that said 2 inchs is really not going to make or break the deal. Heck I can make an 880 stick in the wood. Its all purssure and know where and what rpm' that saw cuts best. With that said and the poulan as a back-up your going to be better to be 60cc+

LOL

mecreature said:
Highbeam said:
mecreature said:
OK quick question...

;-P

stee6043 wrote

Bogging-schmogging

I can bog my brand new 440 in a fir log with a 25" bar. So what? Hell, I bet I can bog ANY saw. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.