STILL BURNING

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say I'm spoiled. Mild weather, almost no snow shoveling but plenty of white stuff in the mtns that surround us, good hiking and kayaking and there's no need for a/c living by a giant 50 degree pond of water. And instead of tans, we rust ;-).

They don't call us mossbacks for nothing! You can tell a non-native washingtonian by his umbrella.

May 15-fire on since the 13th,-1*C here tonight and frost the last 3 nights in a row.This is nuts,but at least there are no blackflies.Maybe we'll just carry on right into fall?

Titan said:
May 15-fire on since the 13th,-1*C here tonight and frost the last 3 nights in a row.This is nuts,but at least there are no blackflies.Maybe we'll just carry on right into fall?

You got any snow heading your way over the next few days?

10C and rain here, fired up the stove to take the chill off.

i have had a fire going since last night, a cold front rolled throug and it didnt get out of the 30*'s today. Im really gald i left all my wood out last year. For once when spring rolled around i had quite the wood pile left, to bad i almost ran out in early spring!! amazing what you find when 3' of snow melts.

Well I declared a few days ago that it was the end of "burning season" - I just can't see burning at the same time I've got the pool open, even if it's not swimmable yet and still darn "refreshing" :lol: I've rolled the last half load of wood back out to the pile, and within the next day or so will be burying my left over dried stuff with semi-new splits from the rounds I had left over last fall. I've got a cord and a half filling my old shed with the stuff I cut down this spring, and need to start looking for a load of log-length to get the rest of the new shed filled up (~5 cords of empty space) All my fresh stuff is split except for a few rounds of elm that I'm saving for "toy testing" at the July party.

Gooserider

I can't forsee any more burning this year. We pulled the cover off the pool a couple weeks ago and I have been in it once already. The water is crystal clear. Tems were in the 80's yesterday and should be there with humidity today. Everything is green and full of leaves around here.

I have to agree with MSG. The views in CO are amazing. Spent Christmas there 2 years ago in Silverthorne and also down in Southern Colorado. It would be easy to fall in love with that.

Well our pool the water is still pretty green, though it's getting better - I think I can see the bottom in the shallow end. I will have to backwash again today looks like, and probably every day this week. I go through more DE the in week after I open than I do the rest of the season, or at least it seems that way. We didn't open the pool at all last season, so this year seems even worse Right now I'm running the filter and the robot 24/7 to get everything cleaned up, once it's back to clear I'll put everything on the timers so the filter only runs about 8 hours a day and the robot about 6 - less than that and I have trouble keeping up with the crud from all the trees in the area.

Gooserider

Calling for light snow here tonight Kenny.New Brunswick may see 20 cm's.

After an apparent end to the wood burning season over the last 10 days, today didn't even make it to 50. Small fires each end of the day. Tomorrow looks like rainy in the forties, so still more burning coming up!

Rainy and damp alll weekend. Looks like I can fire it up again! :coolsmile: Quick

About 47 deg F here tonight in the Dayton Ohio area so I fired up the Jotul C450 and we're enjoying nice, warm even heat............. will probably also burn tomorrow night.....

Well it's only 71 F inside and about 55 F outside, so it's a great excuse to fire up the stove for perhaps the last time this year. A couple beers and some pizza and this is turning into a great Friday night of a long weekend!

One more time--fired up the new Quad one more time this year and very likely the last. Went down to mid 30's last night and inside temp was 65. Wife was happy that I suggested a fire. Still some novelty for me to have a fire in a new stove. So I spent 15 min starting/monitoring the fire as opposed to running the furnace for 15 min and having it done with.

Unfortunately still burning today ,the waether is cold rainy and raw

Tennessee reporting in.

80s day and 70s night for several weeks, then all of a sudden low 70s day and mid 40s night.

Running air conditioning occasionally last week, pelonis heater now (already cleaned my wood stove for the season). :)

Weird weather.

Robbie

Looks like we'll be in the low 40's at night for the next few days. We'll likely be burning an evening fire for the next couple nights. I generally don't put the stove to sleep for the season until the end of May. Some years it only gets a two month rest. Hope that won't be the case this year.

MountainStoveGuy said:
im sitting hear waiting for the temp to get in the 40's so i can take my baby in her backpack on this back trail into rocky mountain national park that i dont have to drive to get to, thats pretty hard to beat, but we defintaly pay for it in the winter.
key when did you live here?

"For the time of a good number of noteworthy events" MSG... (9/92-3/96)

...Yup I can look back with fond memories. Being stationed in COS working at a little known "speck on the plains". Spending time up at Lowry AFB, Went to a carshow at DIA when it was under construction, reading the headlines in the Sunday Denver post...everything from passage of the "Make my day law" to the scandals surrounding DIA. Memories of Stapleton airport...etc. Shows at McNichols Arena, Mile High Stadium (Pink Floyd Division Bell Tour 94')The numerous "weekend getaways" to WY,NM,OK,KS(Even catching a ball game in KC MO) :) ski trips, trips into the mountains...camping up in "park county" territory.

For the most part...I liked it. But I'm an East Coast boy...I need the Trees and the WATER... :)

"You haven't lived life until you wake up in the morning camped out above 9000 feet...and wipe the ice from your mustache...praying the campfire is burning..."

"...In my youth...In my youth..."

Thursday night we had a freeze warning, but the weather man was wrong again. But we are still getting the cooler nights, which is fine for sleeping and burning. So I am going to bring some more wood inside just in-case. But this time I am going to be careful how much wood I put in the stove so I don't wake up in the middle of the night soaking wet.

burned my Olympic all weekend..

elkimmeg said:
Unfortunately still burning today ,the waether is cold rainy and raw

I had a few as well, darn global warming is cutting into my kindling supply, one more tonight (35) at the least.

Willhound said:
Burned all weekend at my camp. Temps below freezing every night and 4 inches of snow on Saturday. Warmer today and going to the high 70's tommorrow. Crazy weather.

Willhound, what stove do ya have at camp?

We were burning yesterday for about 12 hours. First time since May 1st. Hubby asked last Friday if we should move the wood in the house outside, I said no. I'm so smart. :) Burned all the wood and kindling in the house and had to bring some more wood in. After almost running out of wood a few times in March and April, we keep getting our butts saved by people giving us trees and hunks of wood cut down three+ years ago that are all dried out.

We got our first pickup load of wood today from a tree cutting guy who just put us on his list. It was ash, totally filled our truck so that is about 1/4 cord. I am finally thinking about renting a splitter, we have so much wood piled up. Gardening calls and it is hard to split stuff when the our weeds are so vigorous and things need planting.

Status
Not open for further replies.