Still Burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Jan 2, 2009
NE Ohio
Well back in March I said the burning season around these parts (NE Ohio) ended around the end of April or by the first week of May. Thought I would for sure be done by the end of this week but doesn't look like it. If anything the burning is picking up! Mid 40's and rain today and 50 and rain tommorow with possible frost the next two nights. Its been a terrible spring around here. Seemingly never ending rain. Don't mind the cold, but can't stand the rain. Oh well, looks like it will probably mid-month maybe even around the 20th before we finally let the stove go cold for the year. Stay warm and keep burning!

Blizzard said:
Well back in March I said the burning season around these parts (NE Ohio) ended around the end of April or by the first week of May. Thought I would for sure be done by the end of this week but doesn't look like it. If anything the burning is picking up! Mid 40's and rain today and 50 and rain tommorow with possible frost the next two nights. Its been a terrible spring around here. Seemingly never ending rain. Don't mind the cold, but can't stand the rain. Oh well, looks like it will probably mid-month maybe even around the 20th before we finally let the stove go cold for the year. Stay warm and keep burning!

Yeah I hear you, apparently I didn't realize we had a monsoon season in Ohio......

It looks like you guys from Ohio have really been getting swamped! I hope it stops soon or by the time that water gets to the Gulf there will be plenty of flooding of record heights.

certified106 said:
Blizzard said:

Yeah I hear you, apparently I didn't realize we had a monsoon season in Ohio......

X2.... My Yard is a Swamp. Gonna be Mid-July before I can cut this forest of a lawn.

Sounds like the weather in Ohio is mirroring what we have here in Ontario. Finished bucking my 8 cord load today in the light rain. Raining really hard now and the temp is dropping to 35 tonight. The fire has been on since yesterday and the house is a warm, damp free 72. God I love wood heat. hopefully spring will come soon............

I haven't had a fire in weeks but my wife laid the law down tonight and said start a fire or she was plugging in an electric space heater :) . So I started a fire since it was 65° and damp in here plus it's heading into the mid 30's tonight. It definitely feels good but I was hoping I was done a few weeks ago.

Backwoods Savage said:
or by the time that water gets to the Gulf there will be plenty of flooding of record heights.

that'll happen anyways... snowpack in SW Montana is at approx 150% of normal, & that's all going to be melting into Missouri River tributaries once the serious runoff starts in a couple weeks... also, the water table in parts of central Montana where my parents live is only about a foot below the surface in places...

certified106 said:
I haven't had a fire in weeks but my wife laid the law down tonight and said start a fire or she was plugging in an electric space heater :) . So I started a fire since it was 65° and damp in here plus it's heading into the mid 30's tonight. It definitely feels good but I was hoping I was done a few weeks ago.
Exactly my story....plus the rain....not as bad as Southern IL but record for the month.

We're still burning at night on the weekends in VT. It doesn't take much to heat things up when the temps are in the mid 30's.

Skier76 said:
We're still burning at night on the weekends in VT. It doesn't take much to heat things up when the temps are in the mid 30's.

Isn't it great . . . one load and the whole place goes from being in the low 60s to 70 in no time . . . and it stays there for a long time without any reloads . . . almost spoils you . . . the only thing I keep forgetting to do is crack the window near the stove a bit . . . last night I forgot and had some smoke in the house . . . smelled pretty good, but I prefer smelling the smoke outside of my house, not inside.

I have not touched my stove in about a month. House stays at least 65ish with the boiler kicking on for a little bit in the early morning and that's it. Would be too hard to get a fire going and the house would be 90* without trying.
Not bad burning when it's cold out and I could load the stove up to the gills, set it, and forget it, but now it's just too much hassle/time to mess with it.

Gets down to low 40s at night so it's not really too cold. T Shirt weather during the day.

I should be, but the house holds the daytime heat pretty well into the night. Seems silly to start up a fire at 9 or 10 pm. In the morning I've been too lazy and it has been trying to get above 50 by 10 am or so.

Lows for me the next 2 nights mid to high 30's here in NE PA. Looks like after a weeks rest the fire will be back for the next 2 nights.

Shawn

We still burn daily. Colder here than in Alaska! High 30s this morning. The house temp drops to low 60s every evening and I start a fire after dinner, reload it once, shut it down and go to bed. I burn the initial load with high flue temps to try and keep these short fires from gunking up the flue too badly. The stone stoves make it easy to prevent overheating the place since all of the initial load and much of the first reload is spent just heating the thing up.

This time of year we can choose to suffer with 60 degree house temps or to enjoy ourselves with 75 degree temps by burning a small fire. That part is great, easy to heat the home, why suffer with cold temps now that it is so easy to be warm?

We expect to burn daily until mid-june. That's been the experience in previous years anyway.

Might go skiing this weekend. Our moutnains have had record snowfalls and normally the skiing is closed by mid april.

I am still burning.....Had 2 cords at the beginning of march and still have a little left. Summer will be here when I run out! lol

Weather Bug just gave me a FROST WARNING for Allegheny county tonight!!
I already have the 13 fired up.

BeGreen said:
I should be, but the house holds the daytime heat pretty well into the night. Seems silly to start up a fire at 9 or 10 pm. In the morning I've been too lazy and it has been trying to get above 50 by 10 am or so.

I started one yesterday at 4PM when i got off work, went to my son's ball game and got home at 8 to a nice warm house, reloaded before bed and woke up to a fairly warm house but no coals in the box, was burning a fir maple mix

may start one tonight but if get cold

Blizzard said:
Seemingly heck, try non ending. This weather is starting to really piss me off. I've seen wet springs but this just takes the cake.

This rainy weather is more than I can ever remember. Quite the opposite from last year. The soapstone stove got to run this morning and did wonders for drying things out. This evening I have the basement stove going .I'm looking forward to some dryer weather.

Fire has been out for I think a total of 3 days.
Back running full time.
Over 5 inches of rain here for April!

I'm confident tonight will be my last fire! :lol:

I was hoping that when UBL slid into hell - they would toss some more splits on to the fire down there for his coming ... and maybe we'd get a bump up here. No luck

rottiman said:
Sounds like the weather in Ohio is mirroring what we have here in Ontario. Finished bucking my 8 cord load today in the light rain. Raining really hard now and the temp is dropping to 35 tonight. The fire has been on since yesterday and the house is a warm, damp free 72. God I love wood heat. hopefully spring will come soon............

same here rotti but its supposed to start getting better today ;-)

loon

It was 34° and we had a nice coating of frost all over everything. This is getting old at this point....

I've been burning all week. 31 °F this morning when I left for work. Cold and wet all week, the stove sure feels nice when I get home at night. All this rain is affecting my trout fishing!

Status
Not open for further replies.