1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Stink Bugs(?!?!)

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by bluedogz, Oct 7, 2012.

1. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bluedogz

bluedogz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Maryland
    Yeah- these are the ones we have. Most annoying insect I think I can name- we don't have mosquitoes much up here.
  3. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    The green ones are native, but still can be a pain in the a$$, especially in the garden. A lot of times I find their dead carcasses clinging to the draperies in spring.
    The imported variety is the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug, and doesn't seem to have any natural enemies over here. Even chickens won't eat them.
    Two years ago before I had the insert, I lit a nice fire in the fireplace for the first time, and about a dozen of the little stinkers started fleeing from around the glass doors. The cat was pointing them out like a hunting dog while I snatched 'em up with a tissue to toss in the fire. The firebox was filled with them, dropping from the chimney, buzzing in agony as they were incinerated. Did my heart good to witness that.
    Anyway, didn't see any carnage last year, and only one lone blighter trying to escape in vain this year.[​IMG] P.S.--Contrary to popular belief, it is POSSIBLE to crush them without releasing that goddess-awful smell. The trick is is QUICKLY snuff them out with a tissue. If you delay for even a second to dispach them, they will have time to release the nasty spray, and wow, will you feel ill.
    ScotO likes this.
  4. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    This guy was taking advantage of our unusually warm "Stink Bug Summer" October afternoon temps to do work on his tan:

stink2.jpg
  5. ScotO

ScotO Guest

SQUISH'EM, RICK! QUICK BEFORE HE GETS AWAY!
  6. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    No way, Scotty...I ain't squishin' him. I can't squish 'em all...and I really don't want to smell like 'em. I'll just look forward to burning a bunch of 'em over the winter. ;lol
    ScotO likes this.
  7. ScotO

ScotO Guest

You're right, them little bastiges STINK!