1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valentine92

valentine92 Member

Loc:
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Is it ok to store pellets that are delivered in the garage? They will use a forklift to bring them into the garage and they are on pallets and shrink wrapped. Do I need to remove the shrink wrap that is on them or is ok to leave them wrapped up?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern MA
    Storing your pellets in your garage is a good place. The ultimate goal is to keep them dry and removal of the tarp is up to you. Unless you have a very damp garage, you'll be just fine.

Steve
  3. CantAfford$5Oil

CantAfford$5Oil New Member

Loc:
    CT
    Hi - For those of you who store multiple tons of pellets in your garages - do you just let the delivery guy put the whole pallet shrink wrapped and all in the garage and leave it for the season, or do you re-stack the bags in the garage off the pallets onto something else for any reason? If so, what do you stack them on and why?

I wouldn't really want to re-stack them, but am not keen on the pallets themselves being in the garage all winter. The pellets OK, the pallets not so much...

So, how do you experienced pellet burners do it? Thanks.
  4. cimbo190

cimbo190 New Member

Loc:
    southern maine
    I plan to restack just to be able to spread out all of the bags and for ease of grabbing them come winter.
  5. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    We have to restack only because the space I have for the pellets is
    blocked by some stuff at the very front of the garage. Plus we keep
    one ton on our 3 season porch so no way for the moffit truck to
    get them in there.
    In any event, it would be ideal if your delivery person could tuck them right into
    your garage. Whether you have them up on a pallet or something
    else, your best bet to combat moisture is to have them up off the
    floor on something.
  6. cncpro

cncpro New Member

Loc:
    NE Connecticut, USA
    Personally I cleared enough room for 2 pallets in the corner of the garage and had them place the first 2 pallets neatly in the corner. I bought 4 tons total and had the 3rd & 4th pallets placed nearby. I didn't want to give up that much space so I stacked them up to the ceiling and got rid of empty pallets #3 & #4.

It worked perfectly except I should've left more room for the ladder between the skids. That would've made the re-stacking so much easier... I was originally thinking that the closer they were the less distance I'd have to move them... :red:

Now if i can just get that stove my Quad dealer promised for next month I'll be set... Otherwise I'll be selling pellets for $10 / bag in January :bug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.