1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Storing pellets outside

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Geezer, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Geezer

Geezer New Member

Loc:
    Marlboro NY
    Guys, I know this isn't burning season but I want to prep for next fall. I'm considering storing outside, pallets up on 4x4's, pallet covers, and a tarp to go over the whole thing. In your opinion will it work, I want to order 3 tons for the season all at once in October. Also, does anyone have any advance info on pellet availability next season? Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smoke show

smoke show Guest

yes.
  3. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

yea, it'll work, nothing wrong with it, just keep them covered.

as for availability, it doesn't look to bad, so far, but I'm not a manufacturer. I tend not to offer my opinions on price and availability (anymore), because there always seems to be someone who thinks I'm rabblerousing.....as for availability, already have my pellets put up for next year, so for me, the availability for everyone who cant, or doesn't, plan ahead is not a high priority for me....
  4. stoveguy13

stoveguy13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT
    i do the same thing all winter it will be fine
    DAKSY likes this.
  5. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    What he ^ said.
  6. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    Yep...as long as they are covered and there are no tears in the plastic
  7. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah works fine. Just leave the manufacturer's wrap on them and the piece on the bottom of the pallets that keeps ground moisture from coming up into the stacks. In other words, leave'em like you get'em.
  8. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Don't let water get to them. That's pretty much the only rule. Obey the rule, your pellets will be fine. Disobey the rule, your pellets will be compost.
  9. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    i'd suggest laying a big tarp on top of the 4x's before you put the pallets on 'em to create a bottom moisture barrier too. then a 2nd tarp that 'shingles' down and allows water to leave the area, not get caught in it.

this of course assumes your driveway/etc area is secure. a few people have gotten tons stolen this way.