Storing pellets outside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grahamk

Oct 9, 2008
Colorado
My local Home Depot has Blazer pellets for $240/ton. I picked up a couple of bags and they seem very well named - they burn very hot.

On the bag it says "This bag is vented - do not purchase from retailers that store these bags outside".
Home Depot has pallet after pallet after pallet stored outside. Now, they are wrapped in plastic, but last time I was there they all had 2 feet of heavy wet snow on them. I looked at them today and they have 3 inches of water sitting in the plastic on top.

Is this an OK way to store pallets of pellets? Does the warning on the bag include pellets that are stored in complete, plastic wrapped pallets?

Thanks.

I burned through almost 11 tons this winter, all from my local stove/pellet dealer, all were stored outside, all were vented bags, all pallets were covered with large tight plastic bags. No problems. Sorry about the bad grammar, been drinking... cheers.
drink.jpg

There are not many places in our area that keep stock covered.
Including 2 HD's, and 1 Lowes... not to mention the smaller dealers.. like us..
Never had a call back.... The only time we see wet product, is via
a broken pallet that pierces the bottom corner of a bag. The stuff we get is
wrapped extremely well, then we put an extra cover on each... winter we cover the whole deal
with tarps... just for added piece of mind.

Dan

Reactions: grahamk
I have had 2 bags with a big football size frozen chunk of wet pellets on the bottom of pellets, likely forklift damage. My local dealer has offered to replace but I declined as it may have been my forklift that did the damage. Threw the frozen chunks in the tall grass and dumped the rest in my hopper, no problems.

As long as the outer wrap of the pallet isn't breached they all should be fine
And that's a good buy for that pellet

My local Home Depot has Blazer pellets for $240/ton. I picked up a couple of bags and they seem very well named - they burn very hot.

On the bag it says "This bag is vented - do not purchase from retailers that store these bags outside".
Home Depot has pallet after pallet after pallet stored outside. Now, they are wrapped in plastic, but last time I was there they all had 2 feet of heavy wet snow on them. I looked at them today and they have 3 inches of water sitting in the plastic on top.

Is this an OK way to store pallets of pellets? Does the warning on the bag include pellets that are stored in complete, plastic wrapped pallets?

Thanks.
I think it varies with the pellet brand. My limited experience is that some pellet brands are triple wrapped like the LGs and Crabbés I have purchased in the past. The FSUs were double shrink-wrapped, very tight. I wouldn't be afraid of any of those pallets having snow on top.

HOWEVER, I've also bought pallets of Blazers, and those pellets had the outer plastic shroud that was loose, and that was it. Not double wrapped, not triple wrapped, just the single shroud that is not shrink wrapped. Blazers are the only pellets I would prefer not to store outside if I could help it. That's not to say they won't survive, but they have less protection than the other pellet brands I've tried.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
My limited experience is that some pellet brands are triple wrapped like the LGs...

What I noticed, as well, was that the LG's have a heavier bag, and cover than most..
They are by far the best wrapped/protected we see.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.