storing used tarm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

8nrider

Aug 15, 2008
new hampshire
I have come to the realization that i will not get this boiler hooked up this year. wondering how to store it? i was thinking short closed loop with a spirovent and circulator on a timer. any other thoughts would be appreciated. thanks.

If you haven't yet filled it with water or started a fire, why not just plug the flue outlet, the forced draft inlet, and close the doors? The enemy is moisture, and with everything closed up, you should be OK. To start with you might want to put an "on" light bulb inside the Tarm to heat it up and evaporate any moisture.

If you have filled it with water but not started a fire, I would drain it and do the same as above. If you have started a fire, I still would go the drain route but add a good scraping of the firebox to remove as much creosote as possible, then do the same as above.

If you choose to leave water in the Tarm and follow what you thought of, I would test the water to make sure the pH is where it is supposed to be (8-9) to prevent any acid corrosion. Then run the circ pump once a week or so for awhile to circulate the water.

thanks for the input jim. its funny how some times the mind sees only one path. i havn't put any water in it yet. i'll lite alittle fire in it in the morn with the drain open. haven't hooked any piping to it yet. seems to be a clean stove. looking forward to getting it hooked up but the money isn't there this year. thanks again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.