Storing Wood in Garage Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Big Easy

May 14, 2020
Canada
So I store my wood in a detached garage. I insulated the ceiling over the wood in August 2019 and as you can see with the pic I did get some mold. Any ideas what can be done to limit the mold? I can’t season my wood as don’t have the resources to do so. Can I install vents in ceiling? Would that help at all? Any ideas welcomed.

Attachments

• D2A5E00A-7741-48B6-BD51-F9B0F843119C.jpeg
    D2A5E00A-7741-48B6-BD51-F9B0F843119C.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 127
Mold is the result of lack of ventilation and high humidity. Ventilation would definitely help. Some type of fan forced would be even better.

Reactions: johneh and Big Easy
Air flow, air flow, air flow...

Is it a heated garage? What else is the garage used for? I third the need for ventilation.

Just wondering why it was insulated. Not ideal to store seasoning wood in there. If it was already seasoned, might be different.

Reactions: Zack R
It needs to be dry before storage. Without sun and wind I can't imagine it's very dry.

Problem is I get 12 cords of wood and they sit in piles until fall. The wood underneath close to ground soaks up too much moisture sitting there all summer.

Solution is to stack that 12 cords of wood off the ground in the sun and wind. Lets off plenty of moisture sitting there stacked all summer.

Problem is I get 12 cords of wood and they sit in piles until fall. The wood underneath close to ground soaks up too much moisture sitting there all summer.
Might as well leave it in that pile, it wont be dry in the garage either.
Solution is to stack that 12 cords of wood off the ground in the sun and wind. Lets off plenty of moisture sitting there stacked all summer.
This ^ ^ ^ ...only add a top cover to it too, leaving the sides open for air flow...and get another 12 cord cut, split, stacked (CSS) NOW, so that it has at least 2 years to dry (3 is best) and you will be a happy camper with how the wood burns, the heat it puts out, and how clean your chimney stays (in comparison to wet wood)