Stormy Weekend Ahead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate these things. Trying to keep generators running with blowing rain is a real pain. In snowstorms the stuff just floats down and lands. Got power backup. Got heat from the stove. Just don't want a tree cutting the house in two. With shallow roots the big ones here lay down when a squirrel farts.

As I was typing the weather guy says the wind field from this thing extends out over five hundred miles from the storm center. !!!

I hate these things. Trying to keep generators running with blowing rain is a real pain. In snowstorms the stuff just floats down and lands. Got power backup. Got heat from the stove. Just don't want a tree cutting the house in two. With shallow roots the big ones here lay down when a squirrel farts.

As I was typing the weather guy says the wind field from this thing extends out over five hundred miles from the storm center. !!!
Good luck there Bart! Looks like this area will get some heavy winds but down your way it could get crazy..

Ray

Thanks. And folks forget that power crews can't be fixing things in high winds and pouring rain. For days. Those guys are my heroes.

Reactions: raybonz
Went out today and got the last of the essentials. We are as ready as we could be. Spent most of the day cleaning the yard and taking stuff down to the dump. Cleaned the gutters, that was an adventure, its a lot higher looking down then it is looking up. Downpours also cleaned of debris and leaves. Thank God for power hoses. Be safe you all.

I have a full can of gas for the genny just in case.

Well, genny runs, 10 gallons of Sta-bil-ized gas put back, tons of wood (literally), and a crapload of franks n' beans. Oh yeah, propane too.

Fun Fun, latest map still shows it coming right over me as a hurricane. I think I have covered all my bases for this storm. Guess we will see.
Good luck Mellow!

Fun Fun, latest map still shows it coming right over me as a hurricane. I think I have covered all my bases for this storm. Guess we will see.

Yeah over your way is looking scary. !!! And some of the models have it picking up your wood pile and then heading to my house. If it blows my stuff away a lot of duck decoys purchased in Salisbury would get spread around.

Be safe folks after watching the tv tonight i have one of my bad feelings i get when chit goes crazy. Same bad feeling as back in 09 when i lost power for 2 weeks...

Generators are great but they can sure show you how cheap grid electricity is fast at $3.80 a gallon.

My gas sipping genny costs fifteen bucks every eight hours to run. Don't even ask what the big one costs to run. I try not to ever fire it.

My normal electric usage is four bucks a day.

Since Irene hit up our way me and the neighbors are hoping the problem trees were either downed or trimmed last year so maybe we won't lose power for a week like last time. Bad news is the full moon tides and storm surge. My area will have flooding from the LI Sound and will be worse on the barrier beaches and the south shore.

Generators are great but they can sure show you how cheap grid electricity is fast at $3.80 a gallon.

I agree with you on that they are not cheap at all to run.

No gennie, and on a well.............. hang on to your hats, boys, it's gonna be a bumpy ride !!!

Essentials more than covered.

Scarey event last night, learned some thing new.

Grabbed a 3-4 year old bottle of lamp oil, and went to unscrew the top (plastic bottle). Next thing I knew, I was covered in lamp oil because the thing shattered in my hands........... I was covered in the stuff !!! Luckily, no open flames near by.

Moral of the story.. make sure your lamp oil isn't old, 'cause it's gonna break !!

While i was at lowes today...i just had to laugh they were selling generators faster than they could unload the semi!!! I personally saw 12 genny's sold at $799.99 a piece! Pellets were flying out the door! No D cells batteries, it was crazy! And then of course the stores were packed with folks getting food... I just laughed Even during irene we were only without power for 24hrs. I guess at this point of my life, i have learned not to stress over some things...

Reactions: Oldhippie
I don't understand the food thing...how are you going to keep it cold if you loose electricity? I saw people with 4 gallons of milk..inconceivable !!!:p

I don't understand the food thing...how are you going to keep it cold if you loose electricity? I saw people with 4 gallons of milk..inconceivable !!!:p

The best part is when you hear of folks that loose power during a snowstorm and are upset because their food in the fridge spoiled.....um...hello...dig a hole in the snow and put your perishables in the snow....duh!!

The best part is when you hear of folks that loose power during a snowstorm and are upset because their food in the fridge spoiled.....um...hello...dig a hole in the snow and put your perishables in the snow....duh!!

Give that a try next week. And yes in a snow storm I did exactly that for a week. But it ain't gonna work next week.

Give that a try next week. And yes in a snow storm I did exactly that for a week. But it ain't gonna work next week.

No, its not... better have an ice chest ready, and have ice made.

Gonna need it.

yeah, ya throw out some food, but you prioritize, and get it dun.

Anything in tupperware/zip lock bags is on my schnizznit list right now.

I have put stuff in the snow as well it works.

I spent the first 24 years of my life in South Florida. One of the many reasons I left that state was that I got tired of Hurricane season.

This is the second year in a row in which I have had to prepare for a Hurricane... in the frickin' northeast. :mad:

Unless you live in central USA you have to expect ocean related storms BB but in the midwest you get tornadoes and I will take a hurricane any day! Tornadoes are downright scary with little to no warning while hurricanes you know about a week before they arrive here..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.