Stove’s earning their keep today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeremy6500

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2021
Indiana
Been cold today. Stoves have worked great, just been extra hungry.

Reactions: vinny11950
Yeah, 6 below here. Pellets doing a disappearing act in the hopper!

It never got above 0::Fhere today with a 30 mph wind, going way down tonight. The Harman will keep chili simmering on the top on a day like this.

Reactions: Jeremy6500
It’s only down to 19f here (sounds like a heat wave compared to the rest of the US) but the wind has been pounding the house all day. The attic insulation and window and door seals I did this year have made a considerable difference. I’ve been able to keep the stove on 1 and the center of the house is still 68. 72 at the stove in the dining room. Actually I’ve been able to run on 1 all season so far, and shut it off most days while at work.

I was gonna go out and work today but screw it, it’s my holiday. I’ll wait till Sunday or Monday when everything settles down then clear out the driveway.

We had high wind and -9F here yesterday. -1F this morning and wind laid down. Both stoves cranking. The high wind messed with the St Croix yesterday. I had to relight it several times.

Pp130 has been eating about 150 pounds in 24hrs last couple days. Quadrafire is going through about 90-100 and working it's guts out to keep the garage and master BR above 60
That’s a lot of pellets…..

My PP130 has been going through about 2 bags (80lbs) in 24 hours. The super cold has passed and it is up to a high of 10* today.

Reactions: Shoe1757
Glad everyone is staying warm
Yep!! Our cold snap is gone, a strange warming rolled in, not real big, but is 40f, and calling for scattered rain next 3 days,lol. But, like you, 2 bags a day, but I was running both stoves, so neither was running hard, but nice to have warm floors when it is -30F, lol!

I turned the stove on Friday morning and let it go all day and all night for the first time this year. It's been on all but a couple of hours since then. We had 39 degrees Friday morning and 0* before we went to bed Friday night. The Vermont Castings propane stove in our back room has run just about constantly as well.

Earned it's keep the last week and ate a little over a cord of wood doing it _g

Offset around 40-45gal of LP/day though so it "saved" around $600 or so. Can't complain about that !! Also quite happy to see snow sitting on its roof when it's 180F in there plus the fire inside that.

20-30's on the way so that'll feel like a heatwave !!!

3B46506A-4E61-4DF6-97B3-58943F94B00D.jpeg

The wind was pounding even harder yesterday so I had to kick it up to 2 . Today finally calmed down and I had to drop it back to 1. 74-75 at the stove and 69-70 at the house center, while it’s 21 outside. Wasn’t sure what this storm was gonna bring so I hauled in some extra bags.

I clean the burnpot, firebox, glass, and ash traps really good every 2 weeks. Have no reason to touch it in between unless I’m burning hard. It’s about that time again.

View attachment 306196

The wind was pounding even harder yesterday so I had to kick it up to 2 . Today finally calmed down and I had to drop it back to 1. 74-75 at the stove and 69-70 at the house center, while it’s 21 outside. Wasn’t sure what this storm was gonna bring so I hauled in some extra bags.

I clean the burnpot, firebox, glass, and ash traps really good every 2 weeks. Have no reason to touch it in between unless I’m burning hard. It’s about that time again.
What kind of stove is that? My PelPro blows my Quadrafire out of the water on heat output, but I can go barely go 4 bags on the PelPro without cleaning, the Quadrafire can easily go 10-14, especially if I just dump the pot and let it fire again.

What kind of stove is that? My PelPro blows my Quadrafire out of the water on heat output, but I can go barely go 4 bags on the PelPro without cleaning, the Quadrafire can easily go 10-14, especially if I just dump the pot and let it fire again.
Vogelzang 5770. Burning Pro Pellets. It was rebadged as an Ashley and said Ashley on the front stainless plate. Gave the plate to the GFs coworker named Ashley and made the new front plate at work.

Now the first couple years I burned Kirtland pellets because that’s what the stores here carried. They burned horribly. Glass would plug solid in less than a day. Burn pot would plug and fill up in 1-2 days. Heat output was so bad that the stove could barely keep itself running on 1, air adjustment didn’t matter. Fire went out often.

Now I can go 2 weeks without touching it. That’s about how long till the firebox starts getting full. Some ash on the window ledge but can still see through the glass. Burn pot is still clear. Can run thermostat mode if I want. And I was blown away on the heat output.

I started picking up Pro Pellets on my downstate trips. Both the local TSC and Family Farm and Home eventually switched to carrying Pro Pellets. Even the TSC that is literally across the road from the industrial park where Kirtlands are made. It wasn’t just me having problems.

It was -10 with 40 mph winds. I stayed at my sisters to watch her house while she was out of state. I left the Omega on the 2nd lowest setting. Came home a few days later to check it. House was 44 degrees. Not bad. I have no insulation in the walls. About 8 inches in the attic. Still had about half a bag left in the hopper. Did this routine for 6 days. On the last day I came home early and kicked it up on high. When back to my sisters to collect my things and take care of her animals before she got home. A few hours later when I arrive back home the house was 76 degrees. I was surprised it heated up this heat sink that fast.

Reactions: VintageGal