Stove Board Modifications or other Ember Protection Suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusnakes

Jan 24, 2013
SE Michigan
Greetings everyone,

We are installing a Jotul F55 and are still debating about ember protection. We've been trying to find something that is unassuming to go under the stove, as the room is "busy" enough already visually. We thought about using a plain black stove board (the stove requires UL Type 1 ember protection), but the boards are much smaller or larger than what we need.

Can you cut these boards down to size length-wise? The width (36") is close enough to what we need E/W (33"), but the N/S depth of the boards are 52" (and we only need 40 3/4").

Also, any suggestions others have for unassuming hearths would be great. Our biggest issues are that we have a lovely 3 x 4' tile area in the room from a side exterior entrance that is bluish-grayish, have 1 window, 3 doors, and one double wide pass through/entry into the room. Can't move the stove anywhere else in the house, as this is the last section to be renovated...so need to deal with the logistics of this room to make it work. :)

So excited to be close to installing.

Emily

Hi Emily,

I can't answer your specific questions about stove board, but I'm sure someone who can will be along soon. In the meantime, could you please post pictures of your room, along with the existing tiled area, and the location for the stove? There are several members who are pretty good with visual arts and decorating, who might be able to give you some new ideas you had not considered.

you cant really cut the premade black stove boards.
but you could make your own out of hardy board or other non combustible 1/2" sheeting and sheetmetal

Hi Emily,

I can't answer your specific questions about stove board, but I'm sure someone who can will be along soon. In the meantime, could you please post pictures of your room, along with the existing tiled area, and the location for the stove? There are several members who are pretty good with visual arts and decorating, who might be able to give you some new ideas you had not considered.

Thanks for the suggestion! I had considered it, but will have to get a pic uploaded to Photobucket later this evening. :)

you cant really cut the premade black stove boards.
but you could make your own out of hardy board or other non combustible 1/2" sheeting and sheetmetal

That's an interesting suggestion. We were originally going to do 2x2" slate tiles in that spot, but thought a black stove board might be a bit more unassuming (and less likely to clash with the other tile).

So you would just adhere sheetmetal to the hardy board? Interesting...

You can also simply upload files and photos directly to your post, bypassing the whole photobucket thing.

That's an interesting suggestion. We were originally going to do 2x2" slate tiles in that spot, but thought a black stove board might be a bit more unassuming (and less likely to clash with the other tile).

So you would just adhere sheetmetal to the hardy board? Interesting...

screws or glue

If your stove only requires ember protection, can you install tiles that are the same as the tiles in your 3x 4 area? You are dealing with a similar area here....

Reactions: Ashful
If your stove only requires ember protection, can you install tiles that are the same as the tiles in your 3x 4 area? You are dealing with a similar area here....
Exactly what I was thinking rideau, but wanted to see pictures, first. Welcome back, BTW! Haven't seen much of you around here, lately.

You can also simply upload files and photos directly to your post, bypassing the whole photobucket thing.

Ahhhh, getting this forum mixed up with another building forum to which I belong (that exclusively uses photobucket). Much prefer straight uploads! Now I have to pull together a pic. ;)

Yes, I would love to use the same tile, but it was purchased by the previous owner about 20 years ago. :/ It's a handmade tile from Epro.

Depending on the budget . . . you could put a slab of black granite underneath the stove. Not sure if I would call it a minimalist approach, but a solid piece of granite would be similar in look to the pre-made stove boards . . . just a "bit" more expensive.

Reactions: Rusnakes
Greetings everyone,

We are installing a Jotul F55 and are still debating about ember protection. We've been trying to find something that is unassuming to go under the stove, as the room is "busy" enough already visually. We thought about using a plain black stove board (the stove requires UL Type 1 ember protection), but the boards are much smaller or larger than what we need.

Can you cut these boards down to size length-wise? The width (36") is close enough to what we need E/W (33"), but the N/S depth of the boards are 52" (and we only need 40 3/4").

Also, any suggestions others have for unassuming hearths would be great. Our biggest issues are that we have a lovely 3 x 4' tile area in the room from a side exterior entrance that is bluish-grayish, have 1 window, 3 doors, and one double wide pass through/entry into the room. Can't move the stove anywhere else in the house, as this is the last section to be renovated...so need to deal with the logistics of this room to make it work. :)

So excited to be close to installing.

Emily

This is pretty close. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200316583_200316583

I was going to say I've seen those boards in more than 2 sizes but I see Begreen is way ahead of me. That's why we keep him around ;)

I'd say if you can't find a match for the existing tiles (and if the areas are not close to each other, texture would be more important to match than exact colour, if you can get a near match in colour it may not even be noticeable the more distance there is between them), then try a tile that is as close to a match to your flooring as possible, and you could do the same for the wall if you don't want to run that same colour up the wall. In my case I have luna beige marble under my stove (I won't go into how I wound up with that), but it actually blends well with the spruce and pine walls and the maple laminate and cabinets so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb, and then I have glass tile in shades of brown, copper, smoke and beige on the wall which I matched up to the marble and goes well with the walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.