stove choice - jotul or quadra-fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HI LMM,

I had a Jotul F400 Castine and that is a much better stove than the F3CB. Longer burn times, large splits and easy to regulate the output if you need to.

You need a larger stove, especially if your 1200 ft is not well insulated.

Good luck. I just sold mine, but they are around if you look for them. Used is better than new. Can't go wrong (easy to spot a bad stove) and you save half you money and sales tax.

Carpniels

From the sounds of it, LMM is set on a cast iron stove, I am assuming for aesthetics, but perhaps not? LMM, where are you located or what is the nearest big town? There are several PE smaller dealers that don't stock stoves. But, if you end up choosing a mid-sized Jotul or Quad, you should be satisfied as well. I think the Napoleon would also work for you and may be an interesting compromise.

Rob From Wisconsin said:
Time for me to chime-in....

As it so happens, I've owned both the 3CB & the Oslo.
Both were "pretty" stoves, but very weak on burn times.
2-4 hrs. on the 3CB and perhaps 2-5 hrs. on the Oslo.
It was rare to ever achieve an overnight burn, even w/ the Oslo.
Very disappointing.....

Rob

Didn't want to hijack, please see this new thread re oslo...

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/7842/

Status
Not open for further replies.