Stove Chow and Mt. Vernon AE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeS

Feeling the Heat
Jan 25, 2008
Maryland
Just picked up some Stove Chow fro the local HD since everyone seems to be singing their praises.

If you have the Mt. Vernon AE and are burning Stove Chow what settings have you been using?

JoeS said:
Just picked up some Stove Chow fro the local HD since everyone seems to be singing their praises.

If you have the Mt. Vernon AE and are burning Stove Chow what settings have you been using?

Hi Joes,

Ive been using Stove Chow on hardwood settings , with normal elevation, mostly in Auto with a -2 flame ht - Very good heat output and no issues.

I went to HD yesterday and all they had was Pres-to-logs. I got 10 bags but these are not so good for heat output, even when running in manual high. Back to Chows when in stock

Thanks,
Jon

Thanks, now I will have at least a setting to start with!

OK, here are my findings.

I need to run on the corn setting with the flame height adjustment at +5.

I tried all the other settings and this by far seems to be the best!

JoeS said:

How is your heat output on that setting

I run them on man heat heat setting on mh feed rate is hardwood pellets. Stove chow are of pellets but it depends how the HD is storing them. One HD i went to the bag were wet. Other the seemed to be cover well. I would not pay $ 6 a bag like some places were charging earlier this year, but the $4 bag they are not bad since my last oil delivery was 3.85 a gallon

globewyre said:
I run them on man heat heat setting on mh feed rate is hardwood pellets. Stove chow are of pellets but it depends how the HD is storing them. One HD i went to the bag were wet. Other the seemed to be cover well. I would not pay $ 6 a bag like some places were charging earlier this year, but the $4 bag they are not bad since my last oil delivery was 3.85 a gallon

thanks----for the info. What about clinkers you getting any have had alot this year with Barefoots.

pelletkrzd said:
JoeS said:

How is your heat output on that setting

Pretty hot, hotter than the Greenways I have been burning.

At the +5 flame height (feed rate), how long does a bag last for you on these settings? I.e. are you going through a bag faster than other pellets on a -4,-5 setting?

Gweeper64 said:
At the +5 flame height (feed rate), how long does a bag last for you on these settings? I.e. are you going through a bag faster than other pellets on a -4,-5 setting?

I will keep an eye on this but it does not appear that I am burning more than usual. I also will start checking the heat from both the stove and the exhaust and play around with other settings.

Right now I have changed to hardwood on high elevation setting with flame height at +3.

This seems to be about equal to the corn setting I was previosly running.

Hardwood, +3 I think is what I use for Stove Chow too, though I left it on "normal" elevation setting. I'm going to start writing this stuff down.
Anytime I try something new, I start off at 0 and play from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.