stove colors and keeping looking clean

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trguitar

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2011
Harvard, MA
This question is from the wife: does it hold true with the stove that lighter colors are easier to keep looking clean, than darker colors? What are your experiences? Is there a difference?

Thanks!

I usually do whatever lets me say i told you so later. And make sure you buy christmas gifts that have cords (irons, vacuums, toasters).

Please don't take a word of my advice. None of them stay that clean so buy whatever color she wants. Steel stoves are pretty limited to black or some derivative of that. There are some beautiful enameled stoves out there but they can all be just wiped clean with a rag. It would be my guess that the grayish dust would show up less on a white stove.

The color makes no difference for cleaning. An enameled stove is easier to clean than a painted stove, especially the ash lip. You can clean an enameled stove with slightly dampened rag and it will look like new, but a black one is going to clean just as easily as a black on. White enameled stove do seem to need a bit more care and it they get chipped it's more obvious than on a dark stove.

PS: Whatever you get don't let anyone use furniture polish on it.

Last edited:
I just repainted a Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 in StoveBrite Surf Sand. The color makes ash hard to detect. The paint is nice because it's tough to begin with and a scratch can be touched up easily, enamel is not for me.

Attachments

• IMG_1166.JPG
    IMG_1166.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1168.JPG
    IMG_1168.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1169.JPG
    IMG_1169.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: Zare and Squisher
Check out StoveBrite paint, lots of colors 1200 degrees, it's fun. Couple of stoves I restored this summer.

Attachments

• IMG_1115.JPG
    IMG_1115.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1076.JPG
    IMG_1076.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: Squisher
I just repainted a Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 in StoveBrite Surf Sand. The color makes ash hard to detect. The paint is nice because it's tough to begin with and a scratch can be touched up easily, enamel is not for me.
That looks very nice.

Ash may be less visible on a light surface, but little carbon and bark chips will show. They are dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.