Stove for 300 sqft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Could we get a little more information about the room or set-up? Cabin, workshop, living room, etc. Primary heat, supplemental heat, etc. In a fireplace, have to run a chimney pipe?
Thanks!

For 300 sqft, needs to be smallish, or the area won't be habitable. For occasional heat or the sole heat source? Still would suggest something like a Jotul 602, Morso 1410, or maybe a small, inexpensive steel stove, so as not to take up a lot of room.....

In that size area the 602 could drive you out of the room. Are there any doorways or opening from this room into a larger or adjacent area?

This is a stand alone shack that is open cathedral insulated ceiling with 8' walls. Yes will be heating from ice cold for sleeping overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, no problem with going larger under those conditions. It's going to take some good heat to warm the place up from cold. I love the little Jotul 602, but you're probably going to want something that has a significantly longer burn time.Take a look at some 2 cu ft steel stoves like the PE True North TN20, Englander 13NC or Englander (Summer's Heat) Madison (SW-001), Heatilator WS-18, etc.

Reactions: Catfish Hunter
I ended up buying a Drolet Spark on sale at Fleet Farm - it is the perfect size. It doesn't have an ash pan, it's a 1.3 cu ft and it does pretty well. We moved our 13NC into the house because that thing just was way too much stove for the little shed. (I'll also give an update on that too on a different post) All in all, not a bad little stove, I added a pipe damper to help coals reach the morning.

A few cans of beans and a night full of farts would prolly keep that space warm. Might need to sleep in a gas mask though.

Reactions: Squisher