Stove for a Vacation Rental

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JIm Hewitt

Sep 7, 2013
Hi, I'm new to wood stoves. My wife and I have a vacation rental and would like to install a freestanding woodstove. There is an existing brick chimney that the former owner had for a wood stove so it will be a through the wall installation. The wall is sheet rock. The room is about 600 sq ft. We want to install the stove partly for heating but more for atmosphere. We need it to be a releiable stove because it will be used mostly by vacationers who don't always treat vacation homes as nicely as they would their own and may not have a lot of experience with a wood stove. What brand/models would you recommend for this situation? Thanks for your help.

Welcome Jim. The first thing you need to do is assert that the chimney is clean and safe to direct connect a stove to. Have a professional chimney sweep come out to check the chimney. He will check to see if the chimney is tile-lined or not and its condition. If the chimney is in great shape, the next thing to check is the inside dimension of the chimney. These factors will determine whether you need to put a stainless liner in the chimney for best stove performance. Many modern stoves are draft sensitive. They need a properly sized and height chimney to work well. How tall is this chimney?

A nice, sturdy small stove is the Morso 2110 if you are looking at cast iron stoves. If the budget is tight then take a look at the Englander 17VL. It's a good performer.

Englander 30

Um, this is a 600 sq ft room.Stove is mostly for atmosphere.

Jim, what is the total area you are hoping to heat with the stove? What is the total sq ftg of the cottage?

Reactions: Ashful
I saw the 600 part. Go for the 13 or whatever small one is. You can always open the sliding door! :)

The TN19 is a fine basic stove. How tall is the chimney here, one story or two?

I was going to suggest the True North. Nothing wrong with the Englander, but the R2.5 hearth can be a pain.

I would want something easy to control, and able to leave easy, simple, written instructions for. A supply of good, dry wood will also be a necessity. That way the users will be able to get it burning and settled in in a timely fashion. That may lessen the chances of being distracted and coming back to an over-firing stove.

Dry wood, by the way, is under 20% moisture content. The most reliable way to get it is to have it already split and stacked in the wide open since last year. Or three years ago for oak. Truly dry wood is almost impossible to buy. It is best to be a couple of years ahead on your fuel supply.

We are planning on renting our place, hopefully by next summer. I also hope it will be a year 'round thing, since it is really close to a good network of snowmobile trails. I'm still unsure if we will allow the stove to be used. Maybe if it is rented to someone we know.

Where is the place, anyway?

Welcome to the forum Jim.

Your comment:

vacationers who don't always treat vacation homes as nicely as they would their own and may not have a lot of experience with a wood stove.

That statement says a lot and for that very reason, I would be very hesitant to install a wood stove in a rental unit. And if you do install one, what are you going to use for fuel? Are you aware wood should be dried, anywhere from a year to 3 years depending upon the variety? For sure if you do, stay away from oak. The reason is that it takes so long to dry. If you intend on buying wood, good luck. That wood has a 99% chance that it is freshly cut and/or split which means it is not good to burn.

Good luck.

Welcome Jim.

No way I'd install a wood burner in a rental. The stove could easily be over-fired and ruined within 30 min. Your insurance may not allow it either.

I'd go with gas if they need flames.

Reactions: Ashful
Good information folks. I am embarassed to say I have not checked with our insurance company. Doh. Our cabin is in Cle Elum Wa. Also near a lot of good snowmobiling. Maybe I'll get one of those electric fake flame one :). Nah, just kidding. How easy is it to over heat and ruin a wood stove?
The reason we were considering wood is that we thought if we installed a gas one they would turn it on as soon as they check in and leave it on the whole time. That could be very expensive.

Forgot to add: it is a one story house with an existing brick chimney for a wood burning stove. Wood should not be a problem. This is out in the country in a heavily wooded area. The thing about the wood available out here is that you have mostly pine trees of one kind or another. The creosote build up concerns me.

The thing about the wood available out here is that you have mostly pine trees of one kind or another. The creosote build up concerns me.

Creosote buildup is from burning green wood and/or poor burnng habits. The burning of pine doesn't contribute anything extra, unless that pine isn't dry.

If the chimney is short, I am wondering if the PE Super 27 would be better with the weaker draft.
Good information folks. I am embarassed to say I have not checked with our insurance company. Doh. Our cabin is in Cle Elum Wa. Also near a lot of good snowmobiling. Maybe I'll get one of those electric fake flame one :). Nah, just kidding. How easy is it to over heat and ruin a wood stove?
The reason we were considering wood is that we thought if we installed a gas one they would turn it on as soon as they check in and leave it on the whole time. That could be very expensive.

It would be safer to have an electric fireplace for sure. It is pretty easy to run a stove poorly. Add drinking and you have no idea how that stove will be run. If you don't have wood already the odds of getting dry, seasoned wood now are slim. That usually spells creosote with a capital C. Personally I would pass on the stove for this year. With the short chimney, poor wood possibility, rental tenants, etc. you could be asking for more problems than it's worth. Contact the insurance company and see what they think.

Reactions: jeff_t
If all u have is softwood there is a chance that it will be dry of I cut standing dead!

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
How easy is it to over heat and ruin a wood stove?

For someone who doesn't know what they are doing (like most of your renters) it is very easy. Even if 9/10 of your renters gets it right, it only takes one person to ruin your stove. I just think this is a really bad idea.

I would never install a woodstove in a rental due to the reasons already stated. In fact, when my wife and I bought a new home about ten years ago we decided to rent our old home for a couple of years before selling it. I had a woodstove in the house, but removed it before we rented it. Anyone who's been a member of the forum for any period of time knows how common it is for new wood burners to post problems they are having with their new stove, etc. These are problems encountered by people who just spent thousands of dollars installing a woodstove, so they have some motivation to learn how to properly heat with a stove. Weekend renters aren't likely to know what they are doing and big problems can result in minutes. All it takes is for someone to think it makes sense to use the stove to burn up some scrap paper they don't want to stuff in the trash can and you can have a chimney fire on your hands!

Status
Not open for further replies.