Stove for syrup production

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timfromohio

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2007
Looking off/on for a used stove or wood cook stove to put out in the workshop. Got to thinking that it would fun to try producing our own maple syrup. Do any of you folks who produce your own syrup think an older stove with a sufficient large flat top or a wood cook stove would work for a simple pan evaporator?

Thanks for any input,

TimfromOhio

I do it every season. I've tried lots of different setups, including gas.
By far the best I've found is a 55 gallon drum with a cut out in the top to recess my rectangular 4" deep SS pan into. I add a 6" flue and a door with cheap hinges for loading the wood. It's not an indoor cooker, or pretty, but very very effective!

Reactions: brenndatomu
Yes, lots and lots of moisture. And once you get down into the finishing stage the steam is loaded with sugars. Everything in the vicinity will be sticky!

I do it every season. I've tried lots of different setups, including gas.
By far the best I've found is a 55 gallon drum with a cut out in the top to recess my rectangular 4" deep SS pan into. I add a 6" flue and a door with cheap hinges for loading the wood. It's not an indoor cooker, or pretty, but very very effective!

+1 for Webby's design. I have used the same setup for 2x years now and it works great for your average boiling setup.

Thanks guys! I'm now watching lots of barrel stove videos on youtube. I'm now thinking of setup that could be portable - heat my shop and then go outside for syrup duty.

I just make a new cookin barrel each season.

Status
Not open for further replies.