Stove/hearth pads

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

philupthegastank

Dec 10, 2014
90% of the US is below me.
Hello,

As I continually switch back and forth between buying the englander NC30 or the englander 28-3500 wood furnace, I know the furnace would be an easier install because I would have to create a pad for the wood stove if i go that route. I was just wondering if anyone could send some pictures of their pads for their stoves. Right now where the stove would be located is just hardwood floor with drywall wall behind it. I was thinking cream city brick would look good in our 1908 farmhouse. do you have to have brick going up the wall behind it? or can you leave it bare as long as you meet the required distances from combustibles? doing this on a budget so thats why i keep going back and forth, the furnace would be the cheapest and overall less stressful install since I wouldnt have to build a pad since its going in the basement.

Any pictures or design advice would be appreciated. Thanks

We built a hearth out of treated 2x6's then laid 4 layers of Duroc to get the 30-NC-required R=1.5 hearth requirement, then covered it with a 3/8" slate.

Pics probably say it better:

Stove/hearth pads

Stove/hearth pads

Stove/hearth pads

Stove/hearth pads

Stove/hearth pads

Good luck!

I made a 2x4 base and used only 1 sheet of durock and covered with slate tile. The cultured stone is held on to durock. My napoleon only required ember protection and 4" corner clearences

Attachments

• Stove/hearth pads
    IMG_149311744060466.jpeg
    38.3 KB · Views: 234
FTG:

Nice work there! I like the look!!

Thanks, appreciate it!

Philup, if you decide on the 30-NC, you may want to look up the values of different materials in order to reach the R=1.5 value required by the 30-NC. That's a pretty tough value to meet and one brick won't do it.

Here's a couple tables for you:

https://chimneysweeponline.com/horvalue.htm

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/hearth_design (note that this table shows the incorrect Duroc NextGen value, it should be 0.39 not 0.26; NextGen is all you can buy now)

Good luck!

thanks for the pictures and responses! so from that table, it looks like if i do one layer of micore 300, and then one layer of brick, i should hit the 1.5 mark. if the micore 300 board is under the bricks would that hold all that weight or would it crack?

Did you look at the premade UL Listed hearth pads? You mentioned you would "have to" build one. Is there something with the NC30 that makes that common American Panel, etc pads not work?

Hearth is a layer of Micore sandwiched between 2 sheets of Duroc. Walls are layer of Duroc spaced 1 inch from wall and the cultured river rock.
Stove/hearth pads

Mine is Duroc, then covered with slate stone titles. Nothing on the walls since I have the rear heat shield and meet and/or exceed the combustible distances.

I am pleased with how it turned out, and it's very easy to clean.

Stove/hearth pads

Did you look at the premade UL Listed hearth pads? You mentioned you would "have to" build one. Is there something with the NC30 that makes that common American Panel, etc pads not work?

What is the R rating of a typical premade UL listed hearth pad? If it's not R=1.5 or greater, it won't work by itself.

I think one of the one disadvantages of the Eng 30-NC is the high R rating required for the hearth. A lot of wood stove only require ember protection.

What is the R rating of a typical premade UL listed hearth pad? If it's not R=1.5 or greater, it won't work by itself.

I think one of the one disadvantages of the Eng 30-NC is the high R rating required for the hearth. A lot of wood stove only require ember protection.

1.16 is the one precast one I was aware of. So if the NC30 needs 1.5, not sure. Although, if the wife doesn't like it, it can have a 20 R rating and not matter

Looks HTT has one that is 1.59 Not sure who makes it for them, still searching

Yoder/now American Panel Hearth Classics makes both type 1 (ember protection) and type 2 (R=1.61) hearth pad and extension. They can make a pad at a higher rating on special order.
http://www.hearthclassics.com/

I got one of these for my hearth for like $90 at my local shop. It's UL for Thermal and Ember protection and has an R value of 1.56 which meets the requirement for the 30. Depending on the size you need its pretty economical, certainly not the nicest looking thing but it's pretty simple and clean and will be safe until you can build a nice hearth. Looks good with the black stove when its clean haha.

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/HY-C-...41122_a2s__a3a__a2s_1541128#154SizeOptions:40"_x_48"

Stove/hearth pads
40cm thick slabs of granite cemented onto floorboards. No need for any insulation beneath it. Stone wall behind is the wall of the house, including original chimney breast and fire place, now walled up behind stove.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.