stove install tomorrow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quickrch

Hearth Supporter
Mar 28, 2009
Northern, VA
My avalon Astoria arrived last friday but I could not get the installer out until tomorrow. Can't wait. I went to home depot today and picked up 1.5 tons of Penningtons @ 189 a ton. I used them in the prefire and they seemed OK. I am too new to be a real judge. My neighbor uses them in his Harman and says the are OK. Can't wait for the heat.

Congrats on the new Astoria...it's a good stove. I had one before going to the multi-fueler, but I didn't change due to the stove being a problem....it's a very easy stove to use, and gives great heat.

That 120lb. hopper is so great.....it's the one thing I really miss now. Fill it and even in the highest heat settings, it should go for at least 1 1/2 days w/o filling.

Just follow the owners manual for getting the burn correct, make sure the plates at the top of the firebox are in the correct position, keep it cleaned about once a week, and enjoy!

Don't forget to post some pics of it burning.

Thanks, I did put the plates in and am sure they are in the correct positions. I am hoping to get a new camera for christmas. Last camera was broken. So pics in a week or so. It is now installed but the guy told me to way 24 hours for the sealer to set and dry. The guy did good work but I wish the 45 degree pipe coming off was shorter to allow the stove to move back. I'll post pictures but if anyone knows of pipe that allows the stove to get closer to the wall and thimble I'd be interested. It is only a few inches difference but seems like it is out far. Maybe over time we'll get used to it. Can't wait to turn it one tomorrow.

When you start the stove, have the damper rod set at about 1 or 1 1/2 setting....this is a good ballpark setting to start with. After the stove gets up to temp on 1st or 2nd yellow heat setting for about 45 minutes, then look at the page in the manual under "restrictor adjustment"....do it just like they say.

Enjoy the heat!

Well, it has been running for about 4 hours now. Nice heat coming off. The furnace ran once in that time and the heat pump upstairs ran one time. Now it is 1 degree warmer than the furnace thermostate.

imacman I have the restrictor all they way in. Any out and the pellets burn out. Also turned the fan down to low and have it running at half feed. Now, is there anyway to get the fan hum to be a little less? I was surprise at the amount of noise. I have the free standing in a corner and the sound seems to bounce right out to the kitchen.

quickrch said:
....imacman I have the restrictor all they way in. Any out and the pellets burn out. Also turned the fan down to low and have it running at half feed. Now, is there anyway to get the fan hum to be a little less? I was surprise at the amount of noise. I have the free standing in a corner and the sound seems to bounce right out to the kitchen.

Not sure what you mean by "the pellets burn out"....that's what their supposed to do...LOL. Seriously though, hard to believe you can run it with the damper all the way closed. Are the pellets " wiggling" around when they are almost all the way burned, and the small embers getting ejected from the pot? That's what you want the damper set at. If it works that way all the way closed, I guess it's OK.

As for the convection fan, can't tell ya what to do with that....I thought mine was pretty quiet. Does the motor still have the oiling ports on it like mine did? If so, maybe a couple of drops of 3-in-1 blue can in each one might help?

Other than that, the only other thing I can think of is the squirrel cage blower is out of balance, or hitting the blower case?

oh, BTW, the fan should be set to at least same number as the feed level......if the feed is on medium, the fan should be set the same or higher. Too low a setting could cause the stove to over fire, especially on high heat settings. Not enough heat is being extracted by the heat exchanger due to low fan speed.

The air intake seems to grab some air around the edges. I don't know if it is because the combusion fan is going all out or if the plate isn't tight so I can't close it all they way. If I have it on high with the intake on 1 or 2 all the pellets burn out and the fire goes away.
I am on my way downstairs to check the fan setting...I'll poke around the fans later in the week.

Hello

Congrats, I have a Basement Install and it heats the whole house for the winter using only 3 Tons!

Good Luck with yours and Please Post Pics when you can...

Attachments

• PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection240sc.jpg
    PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection240sc.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 171
Status
Not open for further replies.