Stove is back together.....do I need to do three burn fires again?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
Got the stove back together and was about to light it when I thought, "do I need to do three burn in fires again?"

Any thoughts?

Got the stove back together and was about to light it when I thought, "do I need to do three burn in fires again?"

Any thoughts?
I doubt it, but the moderators will reply shortly

If it is a brand new top, I'd guess yes. If you need three break in fires to cure the stove when new, why not with a new replacement top? Even if the consensus is no, I think I'd do so for peace of mind. Good luck Remi! Cheers!

If it is a brand new top, I'd guess yes. If you need three break in fires to cure the stove when new, why not with a new replacement top? Even if the consensus is no, I think I'd do so for peace of mind. Good luck Remi! Cheers!
I tend to think I am going to err on the side of caution here. Have to cure the new paint anyhow....nice surprise for the family when they get home.

After ordering cast replacement parts for my VC encore (sold), I remember reading somewhere you can break them in by putting them in the oven and gradually increasing the temp. I think it was something like 50 degrees every 30 minutes up to 500 degrees or something like that. I think this may have come from Black Swan but don't quote me on that. I'm not sure if this is actually a safe, proven method or not but it is a lot quicker that 3 break in fires.

Just lit the first fire.....think I will stick to tried and true.

Just lit the first fire.....think I will stick to tried and true.

I don't blame you, roasting a combustion throat hood in my oven did seem a little weird. I'm wondering if anyone else ever did the oven thing for replacement parts, just curious.

I don't blame you, roasting a combustion throat hood in my oven did seem a little weird. I'm wondering if anyone else ever did the oven thing for replacement parts, just curious.
Never did the oven cure, always went with the three slow burns and never had a problem.:cool:

If the burn off of the throat hood was anything close to what my new stove gave off on it's first burn, you'd be eating a toxic roast in the doghouse :)

Status
Not open for further replies.