Stove pipe connection challenge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Looking for either an insider trick or counsel on a connector piece that i don't know about.

warning: i might not have a grip on all of the proper lingo...so i will do my best here

I installed the 6" single wall stove pipe on my new (to me -2006) jotul f118 yesterday but when i got to the bit where the stove pipe connects to the 6" male crinolated bit that extends from my brick and morter chimney I was really stumped. There were 3 of us trying to use brain over brawn to paitently get teh stove pipe over that connector...to NO avail...it was hugely frustrating.

(it connects to my chimney liner..which is a flexible liner that is not really 'stabilized in the chimney...so there is movement that makes it very difficult to apply any pressure when attempting to push the stove pipe onto this fitting)

In theory a 6" male crinolated fitting would go tightly into a 6 " stove pipe end...but somehow this is just not happening.

is there any type of collar or adaptor that I could use there that would keep all of my 'male parts' (excuse the phrasing) pointing in the right direction (down towards stove).

It's cold now....and I am frustrated !!!

Typically all that’s needed is to crimp the end of the chimney liner snout. If it’s crimped, perhaps it needs a more aggressive crimp.

Typically all that’s needed is to crimp the end of the chimney liner snout. If it’s crimped, perhaps it needs a more aggressive crimp.

this was my thought but my attempts as 'aggressive' must have not quite cut it..I do not have a crimping tool, heavy needle nose pliers were a joke .and the tin snips that i had access to were totally USELESS.

After quite an effort to try and reduce the circumfrance so that i could at least make a start of it....

i thought that i had better stop before i buggered things up.