Stove pipe connection problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MEngineer24

Burning Hunk
Dec 6, 2020
WV
Hi All,

I feel like I’m missing something here. As you can see in the photo. I can not get this single wall pipe to slip all the way down into the stove vent. This is Jotul 50tl rangely. Any advice is welcome.

0DA2CE66-C418-43F1-87B6-1282130FC282.jpeg

Mine doesn't go all the way down. Hasn't been a problem. I think that the pipe is slightly tapered so it doesn't go down all the way.

Is there a ridge or a bump inside the flue collar that stops it? If not, recrimping the end will help.

You can also just cut the crimped section down untill the rib bottoms out

You got to take the screws out first! At least take it apart and clean all of that junk off. Every stove collar is different and yours is too small to allow that pipe to go all the way in, assuming you tried it without screws first. As long as it’s tight and screwed it’s okay to see some ribs.

Thanks everyone! Yes, I installed the stove last year myself (without screws/stove cement around pipe). Back then it was sort of get it done kind of project and I thought it would be fine as is. The more I have looked at it during the off season. I kept thinking I might be missing something. There is no bump or anything, it just seems like that collar is tapered in such a way that the pipe won’t go down any further. Hence me thinking I was missing an adapter or something.

Yup, I think I would just recrimp it to make it fit down in there further...hand crimpers can be bought for $20 or so.
Different brand pipes can be a slightly different diameter too.