Stove pipe height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnightrider

Nov 17, 2015
Sioux Falls
I am putting a wood burning furnace in my new shop and have seen rules on single wall stove pipe that it can not be over 10 total length. I thought I saw this for Canadian, does this apply to US also? The shop ceiling is 16ft, furnace pipe comes out about at 4ft so it would be about 12ft, then a T and about another foot to connect to the outlet of the furnace. Is it OK to run single wall pipe for this, or would double wall be required? Just want to set things up right.

Thanks.

Double-wall should help keep the pipe cleaner, especially if the furnace will have idle periods once the heat requirement is satisfied.

Single wall is certainly restricted from room penetrations but I've never heard of a height limit. Your best bet might be to call a manufacturer located in the US and ask them...

With a 12' ceiling, my total single wall black stove pipe is about 8-9' before connection to the Class A chimney pipe and with at least 3' clearance to any wall. I see a possible issue arising from too much heat loss in the stove pipe and condensation occurring in the black pipe or higher up in the Class A. This possibility has not materialized in the operation of my Tarm. Typical stack temp about 2' from the boiler fitting is 380-430F. I brush the pipe and chimney once/year, and black dust and fly ash is all that results, about a quart in volume. All pipe brushes clean with no buildup.

Double wall is required for over 10', I'm sure the flue doesn't recognize the border.

Status
Not open for further replies.