stove pipe install question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

windowmaker2

Sep 6, 2014
ohio
New to this and have been reading a lot on here about install and minimum spacing. I have an old barn (@1840's) and looking to install a wood burner . I am insulating with R13 walls and ceiling. My single wall pipe will be right @ 14" off the wall. To be safe I am sheeting the wall with 1/2" cement board then adding a second layer with hat track ( steel stud) between them for 1 1/2" spacing for air movement. My big question is my barn is 2 story and will be running the single wall througjt the floor. No ceiling on first floor open floor joist 24" - 28" oc. Floor joist are 3" x8". I was looking to cut a square hole in the floor to run the pipe to a class a ss kit out the roof. I was hoping to claim some heat off the pipe for second floor. For protection I was going to do like my walls and sheet the inside of the hole in the floor with cement board and hat channel and cement board. Then take a section of 8" single wall pipe to wrap the 6" pipe to create a double wall as it goes through the floor. I plan to burn once or twice a week as I tinker around in the barn as I get my wood shop together or watch football. I have all the items free to do this and can not afford more materials at this time. Does this sound reasonable. I know its not right but trying to be safe. Again this is not an every day burner if that makes a difference.

Sorry I hit the wrong button before I finished. Thanks in advance and hope this makes sense.

You are not allowed to run stove pipe through walls or floors. But i think if you cut so you have 18" of clearance it should be ok but not to code

The stove pipe is not for heating. It sounds like a creosote factory with the tall single-wall run and not safely done according to code. Go with class A pipe from the stove room ceiling penetration on up and maintain 2" clearances from the chimney all the way out through the roof. The class A will still emit some heat, but it will keep the flue gases much hotter and cleaner. That should equate to less frequent chimney cleanings and a safer install. An unsafe install could change this from a window maker's shop to a widowmaker.

Last edited:
Begreen I understand it is not for heating. Is there a difference between what I am talking about vs 14' of pipe for a vaulted ceiling if cut cut a hole big enough to get 18" clearen e without heat sheild. Is there a max length for single wall pipe? Also thanks bholler for reply.

Some stove manufacturers suggest going no longer than 8 ft of single wall connector. Taking single wall pipe through floors is a no-go. I can't endorse a flagrant code violation. You'll have to weigh the cost vs the consequences, it's your barn. If you want assistance in the correct way to install we are here to help.

begreen fair enough. I understand where you are coming from. Thanks and this is a cool ass site.

It gets warmer once the stoves get burning. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.