stove pipe install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alfrehner

Dec 13, 2008
Northern Missouri
Hi, I have a question about putting a wood stove in my basement. I have a masonry chimney that has two different flues, one for my insert upstairs and this other one that goes down to the basement. It has a 6 inch hole coming into the basement from the flue through the concrete wall that will fit a single wall 6 inch pipe. My problem is that the top of the hole is only 6-7 inches from the finished ceiling, and I think you have to have 18 inches on single wall right? Any suggestions on what I might use to make this work. Thanks.

Welcome. Now why on earth did they do that? One option would be to seal up that hole and set another one at 2 ft below the ceiling. Or maybe you could connect it with double wall pipe and put a ceiling shield up over the entire length of the pipe?

That's kind of a toughie. How much pipe would have to be right up there parallel to the ceiling? I wonder if there's a way you could come right out of that thimble with a 45 or a 90 and get the pipe headed down away from the ceiling? Won't really solve the whole problem, though. H-m-m-m. Could you post a pic of the existing penetration into the chimney in the basement that we're talking about? Rick

thanks for the input thus far. I thought about the double wall pipe, but I wasn't sure about the clearances for it, and if it connects to the single wall pipe. I don't think I will have to have much pipe sticking out as I will be putting the stove right within a few inches of the concrete wall. I don't think I want to cut another hole into the wall, but thanks for the suggestion. I think the reason the holw was put there was because it originally serviced a gas furnace when the house was built 30 years ago, but since it has been added onto and the furnace was put in a more central location, and this hole was stuffed with rags and a finishing wall was put up over it.

As suggested, use doublewall, a 45, and a heat shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.