Stove pipe minimum clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wildman1632

Oct 24, 2020
Baltimore
We bought a house a 2 years ago that had a double wall stove pipe connection already built in and connected to the chimney pipe, I had a company come out and do an inspection and they told me I only had a 4 inch clearance with combustible materials (load bearing ceiling joist). I'm guessing that having someone come out and fix this mess is going to cost more than I'm prepared to spend. I'm using Duratech DVL double wall stovepipe which the company says needs 6 inches to the sides. I was wondering if I can use metal shielding on the joist? I can get sheet metal from work that they use on tractor-trailer trailers which is pretty thick.

I'm dealing with duravent now and some DVL. Do you have a ceiling support box? My duravent duratech ceiling support box says minimum 2" from ceiling- the box can touch obviously- its framed in. What does the transition between the dvl and class A have between it?

And to answer your question, you could put some NASA stuff in there, you still would need to hold the minimums- as they are still there.

We bought a house a 2 years ago that had a double wall stove pipe connection already built in and connected to the chimney pipe, I had a company come out and do an inspection and they told me I only had a 4 inch clearance with combustible materials (load bearing ceiling joist). I'm guessing that having someone come out and fix this mess is going to cost more than I'm prepared to spend. I'm using Duratech DVL double wall stovepipe which the company says needs 6 inches to the sides. I was wondering if I can use metal shielding on the joist? I can get sheet metal from work that they use on tractor-trailer trailers which is pretty thick.
Yes, shielding with some sheet metal on spacers will help a lot. It doesn't have to be NASA grade metal. A simple shield using 26ga steel would suffice.