Stove pipe question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TAC_Double

Feb 13, 2008
SW Ohio
Hello all.... been awhile since I have been on. I have a question about stove pipe.

I am installing our Quadra-Fire cumberland gap stove in the corner of our living room. For the exterior chimney, I went with the Duravent DuraPlus system. I not really sure why I went with the triple wall other than the fact I got an amazing deal on it back in the spring. I am in the process of installing it now.

My question is about the interior stove pipe. I had planned on using the Dura-Vent DVL pipe becuase of the clearences it has. But are there any other advantages to using it? Or would standard stove pipe work?

I am torn on which way to go, I have been told that it's over kill to use the Duraplus and the DVL. I am starting to worry that I made a mistake using the triple wall.

What should I do? Am I going to be alright with this setup?

Thanks!

As long as you are burning dry wood, you should be ok. With an exterior chimney it helps to keep the flue gases hot. Using DVL will prevent some cooling of the flue gases before they hit the colder exterior pipe. Maybe it's not as ideal as a straight-up interior installation, but many folks are set up this way.Surrounding the exterior flue with an insulated chase would also help a lot.

TAC_Double said:
Hello all.... been awhile since I have been on. I have a question about stove pipe.

I am installing our Quadra-Fire cumberland gap stove in the corner of our living room. For the exterior chimney, I went with the Duravent DuraPlus system. I not really sure why I went with the triple wall other than the fact I got an amazing deal on it back in the spring. I am in the process of installing it now.

My question is about the interior stove pipe. I had planned on using the Dura-Vent DVL pipe becuase of the clearences it has. But are there any other advantages to using it? Or would standard stove pipe work?

I am torn on which way to go, I have been told that it's over kill to use the Duraplus and the DVL. I am starting to worry that I made a mistake using the triple wall.

What should I do? Am I going to be alright with this setup?

Thanks!
it is insulated

If I had the clearance then I would be using single wall interior connector pipe between the stove and chimney. It is much smaller pipe and is much much easier to hook onto the stove collar. Also cheaper.

The interior double wall connector pipe is stainless inside and out so should last much longer.

the only thing I know is that I better get to cleaning mine! maybe next weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.