stove pipe to class a connection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
I've never had the flue apart, so not sure what to get here. I would like to put in 6" stove pipe (has 8" now) to the ceiling, then 6 to 8" increaser at the class a where it goes through the ceiling.
Does anyone have a pic of their setup so I can see how that connection is made?
I have Selkirk Metalbestos ss from ceiling through the roof. Does the increaser just get screwed into the class a, or is a special piece needed for the MB SS?
Thanks for any help here.

If I'm not mistaken, if the stove manual specifies a 6" flue, it should be 6" pipe all the way up, including the Class-A.

The ceiling support box kit will have the stove pipe to class-A adapter as part of the kit. Make sure you buy the right support box kit to go with the brand of class-A pipe you're using. Mixing/matching parts can void the UL listings.

-SF

SlyFerret said:
If I'm not mistaken, if the stove manual specifies a 6" flue, it should be 6" pipe all the way up, including the Class-A.

The ceiling support box kit will have the stove pipe to class-A adapter as part of the kit. Make sure you buy the right support box kit to go with the brand of class-A pipe you're using. Mixing/matching parts can void the UL listings.

-SF

Slyferret, thanks for the reply.
Ideally, the flue should be 6". However, this setup was here when we bought the house, and I'm trying to improve it w/o spending a ton of money on new Class A, since the existing is in really good shape.
Right now, there's a 6-8" increaser right after the collar, then everything else is 8". I'd like to put 6" right at the collar up to a 6-8" increaser at the ceiling, but I'm not sure how the connection at the ceiling is made. Sounds like you're telling me I need the correct metalbestos adapter for the connection at the ceiling. Without using a crystal ball, would that not already be there?
Did I just answer my own question?

As SF states...you need a Ceiling Support Box....it is the junction between Class A and stove pipe. Do you have one there? Can you get in attic to see? (I'm assuming this is a HORIZONTAL ceiling - cathedral ceilings are different). If you have a CSB and it's safe and to code - you could change it to: A few inches of 8" stove pipe below CSB - then 8"/6" increaser - then 6" stove pipe down to stove. Basically, you're just moving increaser a few feet up the stove pipe. And I dunno how much (if any) this will help draft. I question if this is worth it. Maybe someone with more draft experience will chime in.

If you don't have a CSB - it's probably not a safe install.

I bought a used stove that came with a full cathedral mount Metalbestos chimney system (No longer made). To order the 3 extra parts needed to change over to horizontal mount was more than a whole Selkirk system.

That's a good question. I'll have to take a look and get some pics. I do remember there being a framed section where the class a is supported, but don't remember details. I'll get up there tomorrow.

Reactions: mepellet
Got up in the attic today, and took one pic (very blurry...I slipped and almost went through the ceiling!), then the battery died. Waiting for recharge to head back up there, but there is a framed section with a metal support piece that looks like it must be secured from the room side into the studs.
There is no insulation barrier around the pipe up there, but there isn't any insulation around the thing except outside the framed area. Probably why the roof above has no snow. :ahhh:

I've just went through something similar to what you are asking. The only difference is that I have a different Class A chimney manufacturer. From the chimney down I used a stove pipe adapter, then the 6 to 8 increaser, then 6" double wall Metalbestos to the stove. The Metalbestos 6 to 8 adapter is part number DSPI68 $68.00. I ordered it from Ventingpipe.com. The stove pipe adapter is part number DSP-DS $0.19. Ordered it from acehardwareoutlet . I also ordered another stove pipe adapter that didn't work for me but will probably work for you. Its part number is DS-DSP. I think it was $0.49 from the ace hardware. Take a look at the bottom end of your chimney pipe and see which one will work for you. The adapter I used slid over the end of the chimney pipe and I screwed it together. I haven't noticed any problem with draft by going from 6 to 8. If I can figure out how to send pictures I'll send you one. By the way is sounds like you do have a support box to me.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.