stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hounddog

Dec 27, 2007
minnesota
on new stoves they are 6'' on pipe my old smokie has a 8" pipe going to chimney , do they just use a reducer to to 6" at the chimney or do i have to get it redone where pipe meets the chimney, also, do you have to use a double pipe or do you use a single pipe on the new stoves, my old one is single 8" pipe, there is plenty of clearance all around my stove....

if you meet the clearance then yes you can run an 8" to 6" reducer either at the stove or where it meets the chimney and you can use either double or single if the clearances are met.

Best way to do it IMO would be double wall 6" and then put on the 6 -> 8" as the last piece. Looks better anyway I think. For cleaning though, having all 8" might be easiest.

i plan on adapting at the chimney, there should not be any problems with this , i dont think, it shouldnt change draft at all would it?

ONE thing that hasn't been mentioned/asked is what is the chimney? It is generally recommended that you use a chimney that has the same diameter as the output of the stove: in your case 6". Many people do get by, to some extent, with a flue that is a greater size than the stove output: BUT-the draft is weaker. So the issue isn't just how to adapt into the flue thimble, it is what is the size of the stack/liner and what will your draft be in total?
I also think Craig's point to be solid, if you have to make a change in diameter, make it at the thimble end.

my chimney consists of block with a 9x9 clay liner insert, the chimney is probably 16-16 feet. high , stove connects in the basement, how do i determine if this is enough draft, how do i check this out to see if a new stove will work or draft correctly

If you are working with a dealer, they will most likely have a draft meter to measure it. If not then they can help you calculate what you actually need using simple math. The area needs to be Calcualte draft area requirements roughly at no more than 3x for interior and 2x for exterior. So, a 6 inch round is 6x6=36sq/in, and you have 9x9=81sq/in: so you are over a bit.
But, perhaps the best reason to reline is that your draft area will be dead on while at the swame time and you will both increase the safety and ease of maintenance significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.