Stove purchase recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bark

Feb 6, 2011
Wisconsin
Greetings,
I am about to purchase my first wood stove, and I have narrowed my choices down to the following stoves (prices include red/brown enamel finish and chimney install).

Jotul Oslo $5121
Quadrafire Isle Royal $4850
Quadrafire Cumberland Gap $4500
PE Alderlea T-5 $4385

From what I have read on this forum, these all appear to be great stoves. Assuming install quality is the same between dealers, please let me know your opinion on the quotes. Thanks to all for making this site so helpful for us newbies!

Bark said:
Greetings,
I am about to purchase my first wood stove, and I have narrowed my choices down to the following stoves (prices include red/brown enamel finish and chimney install).

Jotul Oslo $5121
PE Alderlea T-5 $4385

From what I have read on this forum, these all appear to be great stoves. Assuming install quality is the same between dealers, please let me know your opinion on the quotes. Thanks to all for making this site so helpful for us newbies!

My vote is for the PE.

All the stoves you have listed do get great reviews here. I don't have a recommendation to you but do have a few things to say about instillation....

You mention install quality between dealers.....assuming it to be equal....I would not assume that. I did when purchasing our first insert and before I knew about this forum. 2 years later I was in the market for another insert to replace the first because it did not meet our heating needs....dealer said it would...it didn't.

I found this forum when I was looking for it's replacement. I learned a lot and it helped me in my decision and educated me as to what to look for in an install etc...

I had my sweep do the install after I found out that a lot of installers don't know a whole lot. My sweep is also a long time fireman so he is well aware of the safety issues involved. ( Our first install was a total nightmare....)

My suggestion, once you decide on which stove to install, is to ask the dealer you purchase from who will be doing the install and how long they have been installing stoves. Read up here on installing so you know what types of questions to ask and what to watch out for. Find out if they install block off plates. (Many do not and tell you you don't need one. Many folks here on this forum will heartily dispute that.)

You are lucky to have found this forum before making a purchase. It will save you lots and lots of money in the long run.

Welcome and enjoy. :coolsmile:

How much space are you intending on heating? You have obviously been studying this for a while. Bigger is better. Make sure the stove heats more space than you have, you won't regret the decision during arctic weather spells. Also longer periods between reloads.

Bark said:
Greetings,

Jotul Oslo $5121
PE Alderlea T-5 $4385

Depends upon what your requirements are. Keep in mind the Cumberland gap has a much smaller firebox than the Isle Royal (2.39 vs 3.0).

I would go with the Isle Royal as I like top loading better than front or side loading and I believe it has a longer burn time than the Oslo... and probably the T5. In fact, if you were to compare the Isle to other stoves it would probably compare more closely to the T6 and the Jotul F600 Firelight.

Our total Install, including the unit itself, was about $5K, so I'd say you are in the ballpark with those numbers.

Just make sure you have the stove located in a logical place and that the fire firebox is big enough to burn splits that are at LEAST 16" long, in a North/South and East/West layout (some stoves are a big shallow and don't lay North/South as well as you might like).

It's kind of a weird time of year to be talking about getting a stove, since you now will have to get wood, stack the wood, etc......a tough time of year to be doing that. Ever thought about having the install done in the Spring, using the Spring and Summer for getting and airing your wood, and all that??????

I'm biased towards the products that come from Travis Industries, (Avalon, Lopi, etc.) myself.

-Soupy1957

Thank you for all your comments.
Honestly soupy1957, I am so excited to get the stove, some wood, and get out chopping, I can't wait for Spring.
I needed a project for the dead of winter :)
All of the shops are very reputable so I am not concerned about install quality,
and I expect any of these stoves will cook me out of the room if I let them.

I do like the 3.0 cuft firebox, topload, good clearances, lifetime warranty, and price on the Isle Royal.
But I like the simplicity, finish, and longevity of Jotul.
I agree these are not apples-to-apples comparisons, based on stove specs. More of a price comparison.

I did read something about having to break down the solid cast stoves,
like the Jotul, for recementing every 5-10 yrs.
The Jotul dealer tells me this is not the case.

Any comments about longevity or maintenance on any of the stoves?
Can I really expect any one of these to last for > 30 yrs, just replacing firebrick and door gaskets?

BrowningBAR said:
Bark said:
Greetings,

Jotul Oslo $5121
PE Alderlea T-5 $4385

Depends upon what your requirements are. Keep in mind the Cumberland gap has a much smaller firebox than the Isle Royal (2.39 vs 3.0).

I would go with the Isle Royal as I like top loading better than front or side loading and I believe it has a longer burn time than the Oslo... and probably the T5. In fact, if you were to compare the Isle to other stoves it would probably compare more closely to the T6 and the Jotul F600 Firelight.

Yeah the IR is probably in the bigger tier. And bigger isnt always better remember, depending on your heating requirements and how low the stove can run well. But for the sake of consideration, can the IR be run low well? Our old stove is much larger than the IR I am pretty sure, and it will heat most of the downstairs to 85* in a hurry if its sitting at 500. For secondary burn stoves, like my Rockland, I seem to not be able to get it much under 500! Unless I only feed it a couple splits at a time which is a PITA.

But your list is nearly identical to mine. I was considering the Jotul Castine as well, for the smallest of the stoves I'd consider. I'd like to have a big stove for those really cold days, and really long burn times, but with the Rockland too I dont think I should go for the really big one.

You should be working on your wood supply now. Don't wait until you get your stove. You have plenty of time to figure out what stove to buy, but you should plan on having several cords split and stacked within the next month or so.

We went with the Oslo. It wasn't the best deal, but I really liked the stove and dealer. Besides, it was the one the wife wanted ;)

Got my first cord of wood delivered this week. I had fun moving and stacking it, even though it was -10 F outside. Guess wood really does warm you 3 times.

Well, I need to research saws and splitters next. This really is fun; I should have done this years ago!

Thanks for your comments. I will now be looking the forum over for saw and splitter comments.

Bark said:
We went with the Oslo.

Great choice. We have one (love it) and know quite a few other people with Jotul stoves.. no complaints. I must say, they are finicky with wood that isnt properly seasoned. When the stove arrives, use the rest of this season to get past the learning curve. As others mentioned, if ordering or splitting your own wood, get it done in the next month or so and let it sit and season until next winter. Some people are too lazy to do this and never get the full efficiency out of their stoves. Its the difference of night and day. Enjoy.

Congratulations, the Oslo is a great stove. Your new stove will want dry wood. If possible, bring a few boxes of that wood indoors now and let it start drying out. It could be ok, but getting nicely seasoned wood at this time of year is a rarity.

Bark said:
We went with the Oslo. It wasn't the best deal, but I really liked the stove and dealer. Besides, it was the one the wife wanted ;)

Got my first cord of wood delivered this week. I had fun moving and stacking it, even though it was -10 F outside. Guess wood really does warm you 3 times.

Well, I need to research saws and splitters next. This really is fun; I should have done this years ago!

Thanks for your comments. I will now be looking the forum over for saw and splitter comments.

Random thoughts . . .

You are a wise man . . . not for buying a Jotul since many of the other choices were good as well . . . but rather for going for the stove your wife really wanted to get.

Wood . . . as mentioned . . . getting wood sooner is always better than getting it later . . . whether it be buying wood, scrounging wood or harvesting your own wood.

Saws and splitters . . . gotta love power tools . . . just be careful when you do get 'em . . . the "toys" can lose a bit of luster when you're sitting in the ER waiting room.

The Oslo . . . fine choice . . . near bullet-proof stove that pumps out the heat . . . only two negatives I've had is the ash falling out of the front door and the perpetually sticky air lever . . . both minor annoyances that you can get around or fix easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.