Stove room vs Living room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barger44

Nov 21, 2014
PA
I am going to drive my wife crazy! today I installed our stove for the 3rd time today. we started as basement dwellers (not enough heat upstairs) then moved to our mud room (still burning on high 24/7) which is down a hall from the main part of the house (my wife hated the two fans running right in the doorway to her laundry room!), and now I have moved it into the main part of the house. we have a very open floor plan other than the mud room and I am hoping that I can burn a lot less pellets with this set up. (and yes i now have some siding and drywall to repair)

i am curious if anyone has any experience with moving their stove from a restricted area to the main home area and what kind of benefit they saw. i have been tracking my pellet supply weekly so i should have some decent numbers on the impact it has in a few weeks but i can tell you already i am burning on a 5 instead of a 9!

let me know your thoughts!

So every time you move the stove you're cutting a new hole in the house? It seems crazy to me too.

Most threads on where to put the stove usually end up saying" put it where you spend the most time". Most the stoves are space heaters.

So every time you move the stove you're cutting a new hole in the house? It seems crazy to me too.
yep! it sucks but I can fix the siding in about 20 minutes and the drywall is on a wall that needs to be repainted so that is not a big deal to patch up!

Reactions: bags
Isn't there a building or fire code that you need to be adhering to? Moving it place to place seems to be somewhat half assed and in need of a plan. Stop cutting holes and think about what you want to do. And do this WITH your wife.

Isn't there a building or fire code that you need to be adhering to? Moving it place to place seems to be somewhat half assed and in need of a plan. Stop cutting holes and think about what you want to do. And do this WITH your wife.
we have had a plan from the start...stay warm without spending $4500 this year! I am not saying it was smart putting it in 3 locations. If I knew that I couldn't get the heat into the house from the second location I would have never tried it there, but unfortunately i couldn't predict how it would function. and in terms of fire codes...i am making the install according to code and have had a safe set up each time...i have not half assed any of the installations as i am not willing to put my family in danger!

we have had a plan from the start...stay warm without spending $4500 this year! I am not saying it was smart putting it in 3 locations. If I knew that I couldn't get the heat into the house from the second location I would have never tried it there, but unfortunately i couldn't predict how it would function. and in terms of fire codes...i am making the install according to code and have had a safe set up each time...i have not half assed any of the installations as i am not willing to put my family in danger!

Don't mind the arrogant reply's, there seems to be way too much ego in this forum.
It's unfortunate that the plan you had didn't work out at first, but at least you had the courage and ability to move it and get it working to your liking.
We were going to install ours in the basement, but after all the reading and research, we installed it in our living/family room(very open floor plan) and it heats our whole house effortlessly. Now we're looking for another one to install in the basement so wifey can be warm doing her woodworking projects over the winter.
We started burning October 15th, and as of today, we've burned 29 bags of Heatr's pellets.
It stays between 70 and 75 in the house.

Don't mind the arrogant reply's, there seems to be way too much ego in this forum.
It's unfortunate that the plan you had didn't work out at first, but at least you had the courage and ability to move it and get it working to your liking.
We were going to install ours in the basement, but after all the reading and research, we installed it in our living/family room and it heats our whole house effortlessly. Now we're looking for another one to install in the basement so wifey can be warm doing her woodworking projects over the winter.
thanks for the encou
We were going to install ours in the basement, but after all the reading and research, we installed it in our living/family room and it heats our whole house effortlessly. Now we're looking for another one to install in the basement so wifey can be warm doing her woodworking projects over the winter.
thanks! we are actually going to get a second stove for the basement next year (hole already in the wall!!) for my wife's photography business and our family room. the savings over propane has been huge for us so far!

Yup, when we bought our stove last December, propane was $3.68 a gallon.
The only thing we use propane for now is the zone for my 91 yo mom's room, and our hot water.
The rest of the zones in the house are turned off.
I figure a stove in the basement will be great for my wife's shop, and the house floors will be nice and warm :)

I am going to drive my wife crazy! today I installed our stove for the 3rd time today. we started as basement dwellers (not enough heat upstairs) then moved to our mud room (still burning on high 24/7) which is down a hall from the main part of the house (my wife hated the two fans running right in the doorway to her laundry room!), and now I have moved it into the main part of the house. we have a very open floor plan other than the mud room and I am hoping that I can burn a lot less pellets with this set up. (and yes i now have some siding and drywall to repair)

i am curious if anyone has any experience with moving their stove from a restricted area to the main home area and what kind of benefit they saw. i have been tracking my pellet supply weekly so i should have some decent numbers on the impact it has in a few weeks but i can tell you already i am burning on a 5 instead of a 9!

let me know your thoughts!
Ha, in hindsight, many of us have learned to put the stove where the wife wants it!

I think it would be impossible to guess how much less fuel you'll use, but it'll be a lot easier for you to heat the open space if the stove starts in the open space! Especially without the fans. Good luck.

Reactions: jdinny
... I can fix the siding in about 20 minutes and the drywall is on a wall that needs to be repainted so that is not a big deal to patch up!

Wow, it's great you're so talented. I would find that a challenge.

Some information about the house and layout might help people steer you in the right direction. I have my insert in a centrally located fireplace in my living room in a mostly open house that is well insulated and it heats pretty much the entire house. Putting the stove in the main part of the home should help heat the house but it is very dependant on the layout and bout efficient it is. Every scenario is different.

The only draw back is the noise when were watching tv but its not unbearable.

I would get some thermometers and put them around the house to monitor the temps in the rooms after you install as it might give toy a Bette idea than pellet consumption

Reactions: F4jock
We were going to install ours in the basement, but after all the reading and research, we installed it in our living/family room(very open floor plan) and it heats our whole house effortlessly. Now we're looking for another one to install in the basement so wifey can be warm doing her woodworking projects over the winter.
We started burning October 15th, and as of today, we've burned 29 bags of Heatr's pellets.
It stays between 70 and 75 in the house.

Not trying to be arrogant, and I certainly have no right to be. However, when I read about someone who has installed their stove for the THIRD TIME IN A DAY, my spider sense goes off telling me that there could not have been much thought put into the placement. The phrase "Measure twice, cut once" keeps going through my mind, which seems to be what you had done. The fact that the OPs home is being filled with holes in the wall, does not make me arrogant.

Glad the OP's reply wasn't ," it's easy, I just stand back about three feet and let the Remington loose with a load of shot".

Reactions: barger44 and bogieb
Not trying to be arrogant, and I certainly have no right to be. The fact that the OPs home is being filled with holes in the wall, does not make me arrogant.

No it doesn't, but you really should loose the attitude. The guy made a few mistakes, he knows that. he doesn't need any of us beating him up any more than he's already beat himself.
The guy's asking for help, I was under the impression that was the idea of the forum, not for thousands of people that don't even know him to whip his a$$
Give the dude a break

Barger44: I appreciate that you didn't give up and kept trying until you got what you wanted and needed. I don't like when people who are sharing their experiences with all of us, have other people responding to them with "snarky" comments. It's my first year burning a pellet stove and I read ALL pellet stove posts - they help me learn! Thank you for sharing, Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Reactions: barger44 and bogieb
IMO the living room is best if your family hangs out there. They feel warm and cozy.

My living room has one doorway so I put a through the wall fan on the opposite side. It keeps the whole house very balanced temperature wise as it creates a air flow loop bringing the cold air back to the stove.

Reactions: barger44
Tim,
What type of through the wall fan did you use? 44 keep going until you are comfortable.

Reactions: barger44
installed their stove for the THIRD TIME IN A DAY

I was thinking of posting a joke about how could he possibly have installed a stove 3 times in one day! :D

(I've read his posts a week or so ago about the previous install location)

No it doesn't, but you really should loose the attitude. The guy made a few mistakes, he knows that. he doesn't need any of us beating him up any more than he's already beat himself.
The guy's asking for help, I was under the impression that was the idea of the forum, not for thousands of people that don't even know him to whip his a$$
Give the dude a break

Yes it is for help but we can have fun too! The OP is rolling with the punches also. Proven with multiple installs. The first two were practice installs anyway and the swiss cheese effect can be handled he said.:p We all make mistakes so lighten up. You have to be able to laugh at yourself and it doesn't seem like the OP feels so beat up and upset. If patching a couple of holes to get the right or best result then it's a small price to pay in the big picture. I kind of see where Hatchling can be perceived as coming across wrong because he said half assed. Big deal. I also do not think he meant it as mean or any type of beat down. He was referring to having to go thru what 44 was. The situation. He didn't directly pin that onto him as any attack of any sort. If the OP had the fortitude to keep moving it I don't think what Hatchling said registered as any type of beat down on the dudes radar and he himself was joking about already having a hole for the second stove down stairs. He's obviously tougher than that. 3 installs in one day...... I think he can handle life OK. That's the problem with this type of communication because you can not see facial expressions etc; jdinny, I also understand your point here. It was just a slight miscommunication or choice of words.

Also in his defense he was offering constructive help suggesting a plan, stop cutting and do more thinking etc; What's wrong with that? No one really had many details to work with at that point other than the OP was running around all day and for all we knew he might have been thinking of a few more locations. Just my buck fifty's worth. Thought I'd say it because I see people getting sideways over insignificant stuff all the time.

Back on point. barger44, your location now is much better and likely your best option. Being a main area and an open plan this will give you the best results. Your pellet usage will go down because you likely won't be cranking the stove up trying to push more heat to where you want it the most. You are now with a set up similar to mine and many others here. You may still need to move some air for best results so fans are not out of the question. Need to experiment with that. Good Luck Brother! Just for fun here and not a beat down.......... You may hold a record here on a single stove multiple install in a day. Let us know how the patching works out.;) I've done way worse stuff than that. Drive On!

Last edited:
Read for comprehension. Not third time in a day. For the third time, today.

Yeah, I had to go back and re-read it when Phoenix commented on installing the 3rd time in a day. I was wondering how the OP could possibly know how it heated (or not) other areas in that short a time.

I suspect that trying different locations has been tried by a lot of us. We used to have a wood stove in the basement I guess we didn't know how many btu's it produced because if you put wood in it several times a day the house was warm. We obviously didn't have a very efficient installation.

So when I decided to switch to a pellet stove it seemed logical to put the pellet stove in the same area, the only advantage that I had was that the all fuel vent was in place so the pellet stove was just vented to that , No holes were drilled just an adapter to the chimney was used.

Didn't work very well the basement was a large heat sink and very little heat made it upstairs. So the pellet stove was moved to the living room which left the rest of the house cool.
Hmm we put a ceiling fan in the hallway which helped some but clearly wasn't the answer so I installed a Pellet Furnace in the basement again using the existing chimney ran insulated ducting to each end and the middle of the house. Works extremely well in our case. So at this point we use the pellet furnace for the bulk of the heating and the free standing one to get the living room a few degrees warmer in the evenings and early mornings.

I'm a HVAC Contractor and understand air movement fairly well however this is a different type of heat and moves slower than a conventional furnace does.
It's a bit of a learning experience for all of us so some trial and error is to be expected.

I suspect that trying different locations has been tried by a lot of us. We used to have a wood stove in the basement I guess we didn't know how many btu's it produced because if you put wood in it several times a day the house was warm. We obviously didn't have a very efficient installation.

So when I decided to switch to a pellet stove it seemed logical to put the pellet stove in the same area, the only advantage that I had was that the all fuel vent was in place so the pellet stove was just vented to that , No holes were drilled just an adapter to the chimney was used.

Didn't work very well the basement was a large heat sink and very little heat made it upstairs. So the pellet stove was moved to the living room which left the rest of the house cool.
Hmm we put a ceiling fan in the hallway which helped some but clearly wasn't the answer so I installed a Pellet Furnace in the basement again using the existing chimney ran insulated ducting to each end and the middle of the house. Works extremely well in our case. So at this point we use the pellet furnace for the bulk of the heating and the free standing one to get the living room a few degrees warmer in the evenings and early mornings.

I'm a HVAC Contractor and understand air movement fairly well however this is a different type of heat and moves slower than a conventional furnace does.
It's a bit of a learning experience for all of us so some trial and error is to be expected.

That is true. I started with the Harman in the basement, and I too found that heat doesn't rise well in my house (regardless what all the experts assured me) even with lots of fans - it was 80+ downstairs, mid 60's in the warmest rooms upstairs. Thought about moving the Harman upstairs but I have FHW pipes in the basement that I needed to keep at least marginally warm. Plus, with only 950 sq/ft,of living area, the clearance that stove needed to combustibles would have taken away almost 10% of my space, which I was not keen on. I put another, smaller, stove in the living room this fall and with just 2 fans, have all of the living area at nice temps.

However, I have read of plenty of people that had their stove in their unfinished basement and it kept their house nice and warm. So you really never know until you put it to the test.

Status
Not open for further replies.