Stove selection advise and placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bhelm1

Sep 20, 2014
Southern Illinois
I'm looking to install a wood burning stove as a source of primary heat in my 1500sqft home. Currently the home is heated with a forced air propane furnace. I've been looking at several different stove models online and not entirely sure which direction I'm going to go. I think something like a blaze king sirocco 30 or a quadra-fire 3100 would be about the right size for my application but I'm open to suggestions. I would like something that has long burn time, so that while I'm away at work (8hrs -/+) the stove will continue to run until I get home to reload. Also looking to some input on the ideal location to maximize heat efficiency throughout the house.

Here is a diagram of my layout. I would be placing the stove in the living room. Thought possibly about placing it along the wall between the kitchen and the living room.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BydzCAkSXMYGZFhiTE9pY2lETk0/edit?usp=sharing

Location looks good. Go for a 2 cf or larger stove. In non-cat, the PE Super 27 has a good long burn time. In cat, the Sirocco 30 is a good choice.

Knowing how much propane you usually use for heating during the winter including how much during the coldest months will help in finding the right size stove. Nevertheless, the way you describe your house you seem to be looking at the proper size stove for your needs. However, the two employ very different technologies to achieve a clean and efficient burn. The 3100 is a secondary burn stove. Those stoves inject pre-heated air into the top of the firebox, which ignites the gases emitted by the wood below. This burns up most of the volatile gases and particulates generated during the burn. However, to achieve such a clean burn the stove needs to reach a certain operating temperature. Running a secondary burn stove at low temperatures is not efficient and may generate excessive smoke and therefore creosote. If you want less heat with such a stove you would load less wood and make small, hot fire.

A catalytic stove like the Sirocco uses a catalyst to burn up the volatile gases and particulates. The cat operates already efficient at lower overall stove temps than a secondary burn stove. Thus, you can turn the air down more and achieve a slow, steady heat output. When it gets really cold you can still turn up the air and get the stove really cranking. If long burn times and more controllable heat are two important features for you I would recommend the BlazeKing stove. Caveats with cat stoves: The cat needs to be changed about every 5 to 8 years although BK has tested cats that even after 10 years were serviceable. Test your door gaskets regularly as leaking gaskets are a major culprit in early cat failures. Burn only non-treated wood and approved firestarters. Anything else may harm the cat.

For any stove: Use dry wood with an internal moisture content of less than 20%. That's usually achieved by stacking the split firewood in a sunny and windy spot for 1 to 3 years depending on the wood species. Wood sold as "seasoned" rarely has been dried that long. It should be tested during the delivery with a moisture meter. Split a few pieces in half and press the pins in the center of the fresh surface. Under 20% is great, under 25% is burnable. Above that the wood needs to be stacked for more time in your yard.

The location you want to place your stove looks good. If you have problems getting the heat to the bedrooms try a small fan set on the floor in the door opening of the master bedroom blowing cold air towards the living room. That will generate a convective loop which pulls warm air along the ceiling towards the bedrooms.

Last edited:
Reactions: R'Lee
Lots of stoves will fit your requirements. Most will still have a few coals to scratch together for a relight after an 8 hour work day. But a Blaze King will still have wood burning after 8 hours! They have unparalleled burn times, can be turned way down for slow clean burns, and they are more tolerable of under seasoned wood than many other stoves. I have had about a dozen stoves in this house so far, the BK has blown away the competition and my expectations!

I have a ranch style home at 1500 sq ft... running a BK King Ultra. Loooooong burns and squat for ash. Love it! Decorative behind the stove not done yet. Has the OAK, side and rear shielding with optional blowers (*just because they were available)... haven't ran it past midway yet. Getting 24-30 hrs out of a single load once a coal bed is established... shoulder season sux tho. Started a SMALL fire the week before last and three days later, the house was still 84+... (*ha). Can't wait for hard winter and the routine power outages.
57533a2be37e1cc167f980f8706f3511.jpg
79493f50f93a7d49c2e5e48588f26485.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What is all the black stuff on the walls for? FWIW, I never squat for ash.

My insurance wanted a thermal barrier (1"+) from the wall although with the BK, it wasn't necessary. I did it anyway using 1/2" durarock (*sp?). It looked like crap so in the short-term, we painted it with (blk) hi-temp BBQ grill paint.

Life's circumstances have prevented me from finishing it... Most likely this spring before I'll get back to it.

Roger that. Looks like you are ready for another winter. Hope it's a bit warmer for you than last year's.

The forecast here isn't vy optimistic.... 2 out 3 are predicting more of the same or worse. Got 10 full cord c/s/s; 1/2 of which is <20% on my MM. I "think" I am ready. 73!

Better photo... (today's)
7986e83a1d7bb4044721b6ee6d6534c9.jpg

Thanks for the tips everyone! As I read your replies I'm leaning more towards the BK. However, as I'm doing some more looking around I ran across some stoves made by Regency. They've got some different models, some are catalytic and some appear to be secondary style burn stoves. Anyone have experience with these stoves? How do they compare to the BK's quality, price, etc.? Advantage for me at this point with Regency is that the dealer of the stove is much closer to me than the nearest BK dealer.

Regency makes very solid, well built stoves. They are made north of us in Canada and have been around for awhile. The cost locally is significantly below BK pricing, especially for their non-cat stoves. That said, the BK design is more complex with the costly catalyst, catalyst assembly, bypass and thermostatic control.

Thanks for the tips everyone! As I read your replies I'm leaning more towards the BK. However, as I'm doing some more looking around I ran across some stoves made by Regency. They've got some different models, some are catalytic and some appear to be secondary style burn stoves. Anyone have experience with these stoves? How do they compare to the BK's quality, price, etc.? Advantage for me at this point with Regency is that the dealer of the stove is much closer to me than the nearest BK dealer.

Regency just recently started to make catalytic stoves. I think the first one was the extra-large F5100. Here is one thread about some experiences with the stove: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/regency-5100-the-first-few-months.104350/ The F3500 is even newer. I don't remember seeing any member here who has burned in one yet. So far, it is still unknown whether those stoves will get the burn times of a BlaeKing stove. However, in general Regency makes good, solid stoves; nothing wrong with giving them a look.

I had some other priorities come up so I've been away from the stove research for a while. Getting back to it now, I found a used Hearthstone heritage model that is 2 years old. Can anyone give me some recommendations on this stove and what to look for from a two year old stove? They are asking $1500 and it comes with the blower.thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.