1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Stove spring cleaning and had a small issue

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by pourlepayssauvage, May 6, 2013.

1. pourlepayssauvage

pourlepayssauvage New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Maine
    Spring cleaning the stove and ran into a small issue - when I took off the exhaust fan I removed the ground wire on the top (pictured) When I went to put it back the screw won't tighten - leaving me worried that the vibration from the stove will back the screw out and lose the ground connection - probably when it's 20 below out next winter. Any thoughts on a fix would be greatly appreciated. My first thought was maybe to put a piece of high temp tape over it. .jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    Try loctite or a lock washer.
    gbreda likes this.
  3. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    That looks like it might be a self-tapping screw - you could just get another one and "install" a new hole for it. Just make sure there's nothing behind that the screw will interfere with. Or, even better, if you can get at the back, use a machine screw and nut with a star washer for good electrical contact.
    gbreda likes this.
  4. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    That's a real good idea:)
  5. pourlepayssauvage

Loc:
    Eastern Maine
    Great idea! Thanks -- I can reach in and get at the back of the screw so I can make that work. I appreciate it.
  6. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    Glad to help! On thinking further, I'd run the screw in from the back, and put a nut on. Then I'd put the ground lug on, using another nut. That way, when you take it apart again, it'll be a bit easier.
    pourlepayssauvage likes this.
  7. slvrblkk

slvrblkk Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing...that's your exhaust temp sensor and not a ground wire...
  8. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    X2, what Make and Model Stove do you have there?
    Englanders use Heat Sensor wire instead of snap discs to shut down the stove if there is overheating. Check your owners manual. If it is loose it can stop the stove from operating.

It does look like a heat sensor. Where does the other end of the wire go?
  9. pourlepayssauvage

Loc:
    Eastern Maine
    You're probably right -- I just made a quick assumption that it was a ground as it was a bare wire attached to metal -- but it does have insulation on it so it makes sense that its a temp sensor.
  10. imacman

imacman Guest

That is correct. It must be tight for the sensor to get a good reading. Either drill another hole right next to it, or try "buggering-up" the existing threads with a pin punch or something like it so the screw has to cut "new" threads again, and it will be tight.