Stove temp / room temp question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donn Fletcher

Jan 10, 2012
South Western NH
Hi I'm new here and new to Pelle stoves in general. I bought a HarmanXXV back in Oct. and so far love it. However I'm having a problem with controlling the temp. Installer told me to leave it on Stove Temp. Last week it got very cold up here in NH and the stove could not keep up to it. I fiddled around with it changed over to room temp and cranked up the temp setting and fan and it seemed to blow a lot hotter. Not sure if there is something wrong with that. Any advice?
I just burned 2 tons of Newengland Pellets and was not a fan. Way to ashy.
I'm now on to a ton of Turmans much cleaner

Well you will get opinions on using both methods. My Harman is set to Room and feed 3 during cold days. If it gets really cold or house seems cool just increase feed and turn fan to high. Stove mode from my understanding has to be feed rate of at least 4 and temp 80. So as you go you will learn to adjust and get it working. Do you have an OAK? The more air might help.

Well you will get opinions on using both methods. My Harman is set to Room and feed 3 during cold days. If it gets really cold or house seems cool just increase feed and turn fan to high. Stove mode from my understanding has to be feed rate of at least 4 and temp 80. So as you go you will learn to adjust and get it working. Do you have an OAK? The more air might help. Sorry if I made no sense lol. Just increase temp and feed rate then turn fan up too. Maybe try different pellets too.

there is a great thread done by someone on here that goes into great detail the differences between stove/room temp and automatic/manual igniter. hopefully the author or one of the regulars will come along and post a link to it. not to start a pissing contest but the replies youve gotten so far are not completely factual as i understand harman stove operation.

Donn Fletcher said:
Hi I'm new here and new to Pelle stoves in general. I bought a HarmanXXV back in Oct. and so far love it. However I'm having a problem with controlling the temp. Installer told me to leave it on Stove Temp. Last week it got very cold up here in NH and the stove could not keep up to it. I fiddled around with it changed over to room temp and cranked up the temp setting and fan and it seemed to blow a lot hotter. Not sure if there is something wrong with that. Any advice?

See my signature for everything you need to know. Plan to do a video at some point as well.

Donn Fletcher said:

Welcome to the forum. As stated above you will get a lot of advice on the RT/ST debate from us Harman owners. Do yourself a favor and type Stove Temp Room Temp into the quick search box above left. Grab a beer from the fridge and have a seat. The majority of us, BUT NOT ALL of us, use RT Auto mode utilizing a set temperature. The stove will use less pellets and it will turn itself on and off as needed depending on demand. I'll start you off with this link which is one of the best explanations of how Harmans work. Good Luck and again, welcome.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/83574/P22/#1009016

ooops..the author beat me by two minutes above

lbcynya said:
Donn Fletcher said:

See my signature for everything you need to know. Plan to do a video at some point as well.

thats the one i was talking about. thanks lbcynya!!

Room Temp is pretty self-explanatory assuming you've found a good location for your temp sensor. With Stove Temp, you'll have to find the place on the temp dial that keeps your room comfortable. It's just a matter of experimentation. Several people will run Room Temp mode unless temps dip below 20 degrees. Stove temp makes more sense below 20 because your stove is consistently on to battle heat loss. You'll just have to find the place on the dial that works. Stove Temp uses the number range not the temp range on the dial. You wil find yourself turning the dial up higher on stove temp mode than room temp mode.

Andy P. said:
lbcynya said:
Donn Fletcher said:

thats the one i was talking about. thanks lbcynya!!

No problem! :)

Donn Fletcher said:

I asked the same thing a week into owning my Accentra Insert that was installed the first week of Nov, I received great advice and I believe the link noted in earlier posts will provide great info. From my personal experience I have run room temp as it appears to burn less than on stove temp. I just started my second ton and keep the house at 72 downstais and 68 upstairs on room remp. As I have seen from the more experience guys, every stove and every house is different so you will find what works best for you.

Good luck, this site is a great place to get questions answered and just view for info :)

ShizzelDizzel said:
Room Temp is pretty self-explanatory assuming you've found a good location for your temp sensor. With Stove Temp, you'll have to find the place on the temp dial that keeps your room comfortable. It's just a matter of experimentation. Several people will run Room Temp mode unless temps dip below 20 degrees. Stove temp makes more sense below 20 because your stove is consistently on to battle heat loss. You'll just have to find the place on the dial that works. Stove Temp uses the number range not the temp range on the dial. You wil find yourself turning the dial up higher on stove temp mode than room temp mode.

I would contend the opposite... stove temp is fixed heat and room temp is dynamic, so colder days require more control to keep heat range in check. At 20 or less the stove will need to be kicking out heat regardless of the setting. Stove temp you always run the risk of missing the target temp resulting in overheating the space and wasting pellets or the stove temp setting is too low allowing the space to cool requiring a knob adjustment and extra pellets to bring the space back up to proper temp. Now throw in wind and solar gain and room temp can really shine. The only acception would be the placement of the stove in a sunny room or on the leeward side of the house. This can cause other areas to become uncomfortable, so you would purposely need to overheat the stove space. This is why it's situational, but my preference is stove temp unless you use an external thermostat to control the stove as I do, but that's another topic altogether.

Andy P. said:
there is a great thread done by someone on here that goes into great detail the differences between stove/room temp and automatic/manual igniter. hopefully the author or one of the regulars will come along and post a link to it. not to start a pissing contest but the replies youve gotten so far are not completely factual as i understand harman stove operation.

No pissing from me! Learning more each day thanks.

I am a room temp guy. Pretty simple. Set the temp and just add pellets when needed. That's it. Oh yah, have to clean the stove every so often. I find the stove will run pretty steady unless the temps get up into the 30's with the sun shining. I open the shades on my large windows facing south. Then the solar takes over and the stove will shut down late morning and come back on late afternoon. Not too much strain on the igniter.

Thank you everyone. I really like this site. Has been by far the best way to get advice and answers to questions.
I do have 1 question still about Room and stove temp. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my stove but cranked all the way up on both settings I get far more and more forceful heat through the blower. Is that normal?

Donn Fletcher said:
Thank you everyone. I really like this site. Has been by far the best way to get advice and answers to questions.
I do have 1 question still about Room and stove temp. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my stove but cranked all the way up on both settings I get far more and more forceful heat through the blower. Is that normal?

Your welcome.

I don't understand your question? Think you left out a few details. :)

If I have the dial switched to stove temp the fan on high and the temp dial turned to the inside number 7(max) it does not produce as much heat as when I have it to Stove temp with the same fan and temp settings

Donn Fletcher said:
If I have the dial switched to stove temp the fan on high and the temp dial turned to the inside number 7(max) it does not produce as much heat as when I have it to Stove temp with the same fan and temp settings

Getting closer, you said stove temp twice...

Donn Fletcher said:
Sorry about that... Typing with my 3 & 5 year old fighting. It seems to be hotter when set to room temp

Haha, I have a 7 & 8 year old, it does get better.

Should be no theoretical reason why it would feel hotter, unless you pre-heated the stove with Stove Temp and switched over to Room Temp. Stove ESP won't let the exhaust gasses go higher than 500 and the distribution fan should be blowing on high to prevent overheating of the heat exchanger. Only other way to reduce heat when running on max temp is to turn the feed rate down, but that's not an instant thing. Feed should be in the 3-4 range, closer to 4.

Once you get past the desire to tinker, you'll find a setting that makes sense and focus more on enjoying the heat and less about every nuance of the stove. We all do it. I'm still tinkering. :)

Thank you. I do have another question about pellets. So far I have only burned 2 brands. New England and Turman. I thought the NEWP's made a mess. Tons of ash.
However now I'm burning Turmans and unlike the other not a lot of ash but the burnt pellets turn in to black hard charged wood chunks that sit in the burn pot as fresh pellets just seem to form a burning wall. Is that normal with it being oak? If so should I brake it up as it gets to high?

Welcome to the forums Donn! This is a great place to learn about anything and everything pellet stoves!

Status
Not open for further replies.