Stove-top megnetic thermometer placement??? Am I overfiring?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Hey guys

I have been using this forum for a couple of years now.

I often see threads/topics about overheating stoves. Some people are stating things such as "OMG, my stove top hit 800 degrees". Here's my situation.

With my stove, when I light, I keep the bypass damper open for 5-10 mins along with the door open a crack and primary air wide open. I get nice flue temps of about 450-600 degrees F (according to my probe thermometer). I close the damper and the door, leaving the primary open for 5-10mins or so. Once I close the doors, the flames cut back significantly and after a few minutes with the primary open, they get going again. I then start to turn down the primary.

My flue temps normally cruise around 400-500 and I have seen stove top temps of 700-800 constantly with the aforementioned flue temps.

Are my thermometers in the proper spots? Am I overheating my stove? I have never seen any part of the stove glow red (however, forgetting to close the bypass damper once or twice on the stove has resulted in a little red glow from the inner wall of the double wall stove pipe..oooops)

If I am overheating my stove, I have no idea how to heat otherwise. LOL.

See the pic of my stove setup.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

Attachments

• DSCF0129 (Large).jpg
    DSCF0129 (Large).jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 411
Swedishchef said:
My flue temps normally cruise around 400-500 and I have seen stove top temps of 700-800 constantly with the aforementioned flue temps.

Are my thermometers in the proper spots? Am I overheating my stove? Thanks in advance!

Andrew

Your thermos are in okay spots.
No, you are not running too hot.
If that pic is recent, that stove top looks too good for one that has been constantly overfired.

And mag therms can be very inaccurate. Mine, when checked against an IR, is 110 deg hot.
Maybe check the accuracy with another source for your own education?

Andrew, it sounds like you are doing just fine. I like the temperatures a little cooler (650-700) but that is not too hot to be concerned that something bad will happen.

If you were getting that stove too hot you'd be noticing your nice black tint change to white.

That's on the high side of things, but not overfiring.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.