Stove top running too hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don.S

Nov 11, 2017
Montreal QC
I recently put a drolet ht2000 in my basement. It is ran into a flex liner non insulated 24 foot masonry chimney.
When I load my stove up I run it up to about 400f to 450f and then start turning the air down. My stove top temperature runs up to 700f to 800f and then sits at that and burns. From everything I have read here that is too high. I have ran a lighter around the door when the stove is running and I do not think there are any leaks.
Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.
20171226_115549.jpg
20171226_115641.jpg

Tall flue, dry wood, non-cat stove. Sound about right to me. You will need to start shutting it down sooner to help prevent large temperature spikes. That’s a safe temperature for a steel stove by the way.

Shut air a bit earlier as mentioned, especially on reloads. Careful about loading on heavy coal beds. Use larger splits if you have them.

Anything you can do to reduce surface to air will help. So if you load the stove so that it's "airy" between splits naturally it's gonna go up easier.

Can also try loading E/W so that incoming air can't as easily get to the whole load at once.

Also haven't seen this put posted in a while, but on reload rake coals forward trying to achieve more of a "cigar" burn than an all at once lift off.

Quit criss crossing the splits when you load. Load all north to south, or east to west, and fairly tightly. Load larger splits. And congrats on optimal burning. Those temps are fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: webby3650
Ok so I am running safe temperatures. How hot can I go? Yes I have a fan on the stove going full speed. Even when I load the stove up tightly east west it will climb to these temperatures it will just take longer. I always rake the coal to the front and wait till the stove top temperature is around 200.
For this season I did not get my wood together in time so right now all I am burning is dead standing elm. Cut it down and in the stove the same week.

Ok so I am running safe temperatures. How hot can I go? Yes I have a fan on the stove going full speed. Even when I load the stove up tightly east west it will climb to these temperatures it will just take longer. I always rake the coal to the front and wait till the stove top temperature is around 200.
For this season I did not get my wood together in time so right now all I am burning is dead standing elm. Cut it down and in the stove the same week.
Perhaps you should consider a pipe damper then.

Hope that stove is in a large area! That's a beauty stove punching out big heat running like that. My standing dead Elm burns super hot as well. Normal. As mentioned before. Slide down the air sooner. Run the fan fast.

I was in my buds man cave/shop last night sweating. It was -6F outdoors. 80F+ indoors. HT2000 at work!

Reactions: Mike M.
I run those exact same temps with my basement NC30. Only difference is that I rarely use the fan.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

I would pack tighter and shut the air down sooner. The other thing to look at is the air control stop - you may need to modify that so you can further limit the amount of air that gets into the stove. On some stoves, you can get to this and modify it, others not so easy.

So this reload I put the wood only east west and pretty tight. Stove top was at 130 and there was maybe a hand full of coal in the bottom. Left the air wide open and once the temp hit 325 I just shut it right down. Flames almost went out but didn't then they picked up a little and now it's running along at 700. So I guess it's just what this stove likes to be at?

If its cruising with very little flame it sounds like your in the sweet spot. Guess I'll take my IR tomorrow and check my buddies STT. Should be interesting.

So this reload I put the wood only east west and pretty tight. Stove top was at 130 and there was maybe a hand full of coal in the bottom. Left the air wide open and once the temp hit 325 I just shut it right down. Flames almost went out but didn't then they picked up a little and now it's running along at 700. So I guess it's just what this stove likes to be at?
This is pretty common for non-cat stoves.