Stove top thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Bedrick

Jul 14, 2013
Alaska
What kind of stove top thermometer does every one here like? All the magnetic stack thermometers I've tried are badly inaccurate. In fact if you stick 3 of any of the models I've tried to the same surface, you'll get 3 wildly different readings, especially after a few heating and coling cycles. I kinda need an accurate one to help me figure out why my Quad 4300 is putting out less than half the heat for quantity of wood burned than other stoves I've had in the same place.

Welcome Don.

Most of us use either Condar's Inferno which seems to be the favorite or the Rutland. They are accurate enough for typical stove top use. You can find more expensive surface thermometers lab grade if you need that, maybe from TelTru. Most of the inconsistency problems seem to revolve around the flue models. But the most accurate thing to do is get an infrared "gun" type thermometer. It can be used on any non-shiny surface and is a very versatile thing to have anyway. Under $20. Something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NON-CONTACT...461?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e7ef8347d

If you want to start a thread on the problem you're having, I'm sure we can help you out with that.

Last edited:
But the most accurate thing to do is get an infrared "gun" type thermometer
Ill second that! they are also great for flu temps, wall temps and the red dot is great for messing with the dog! I got one for my dad last year for Christmas even though he doesn't have a stove. He thought it would be great to use in the summer to see how hot the pavement was when he was taking his pooch for a walk.

I have tested the Condor medallion numerous times and it has been pretty accurate.

I'll agree with the first two guys. I have the condor Inferno as well, and it's ok for a quick peek as I walk by after looking through the glass but ultimately the IR is the way to go for true numbers

Thanks guys, I've got an IR gun that I use but it's usually on a job or in the truck so I thought I'd stick a dedicated thermometer there for convenience. I'll get a Condor. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.