1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Stove was in house we bought

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Mike Branscombe, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Mike Branscombe

Mike Branscombe New Member

don't know what it is. the only markings I could find were on the inside back, stating "AP Green" embossed into the metal several times. trying to figure out if I should consider using this stove, or trying to get my hands on a more modern one. The pics aren't that great, poor lighting, but possibly someone has an idea what it is? maybe home built?

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. coaly

coaly Fisher Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NE PA
  3. Mike Branscombe

Mike Branscombe New Member

The AP Green is stamped or embossed on the interior side of the back of the stove. I don't know if this is firebrick or some type of lining, it doesn't look like brick to me per say. It alternates vertically going up then down, 4 or 5 times across the entire interior back side. It is the only marking I cold find was thinking this might help date the stove?
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Some one else posted a similar looking stove, but I can't find it now. It appears to be an Orley knock-off.
  5. coaly

coaly Fisher Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    See if a magnet sticks to the center of the pieces that are marked. (It may have metal brick retainers around them to keep them in place) If it's the stove, it will be magnetic. If the magnet doesn't stick, it's brick. It's probably brick lined and each piece was put in a different direction.

If it's brick, it won't help date it. They still make bricks today. They are thinner than a regular building brick (1 1/4") and usually 4 1/2 X 9 inches for modern stoves.
    Long history of the company here; as well as shapes of their products.
    http://brickfrog.wordpress.com/2012/03/11/a-p-green-fire-brick-co-mexico-missouri/