Stovetop is running ~1,000F tonight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Isaac Carlson

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2012
NW Wisconsin
The stove is just cruising along and I am headed to bed. A nice dull glow on the top.
It has a few sticks of maple and a couple pieces of elm In it. Should be nice and toasty in the morning.

I think the glass top on my cookstove hit 900+ once, but I was baking with a 500 df oven.

That is way too hot. You probably shouldn’t let the stove top get over 800* for extended periods of time. You are well into over fire territory my friend.

I don’t think I’d be getting much sleep if my stove was glowing.

You know the rules.... pics or it didn't happen! :)

Don't know that I've ever seen "four digit" territory, but my stove would routinely hit high 800's with the nightly loading. But then I re-gasketed the doors and sealed some other air leaks, so I can control it back down in the 500-600 range, but burn for much longer periods.

Chimneys clean

The flue thermometer said 350*F. :) I slept like a rock until a woodpecker decided to hammer on the house. They definitely let us know when their suet cake is gone. I tried to take a picture, but the camera wasn't having it.

My son slept on the couch, across from the stove, and he's still there!

If STT is 1000, where's that put the flue temp? 2000? I'd guess getting close to system failure... warp/melt the stove, beyond flue rating, etc... I personally try to not peak over 700 STT, but have hit 800.

On the positive side, I bet there's no creosote build up left in the flue!

This stove weighs 1,000 lbs, soaks up heat like a sponge, and throws it like a pro pitcher. It will easily pull enough heat out of the flue gasses to drop the chimney temp to 200 or lower. You have to have a hot fire to keep 'er goin
If STT is 1000, where's that put the flue temp? 2000? I'd guess getting close to system failure... warp/melt the stove, beyond flue rating, etc... I personally try to not peak over 700 STT, but have hit 800.

On the positive side, I bet there's no creosote build up left in the flue!

Like I said, the flue thermometer said 350.

That's interesting. I didn't see the 350 flue temp posted. So you really have to keep the stove temp high to keep the flue temp over the 250 where creosote starts to form...?

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
That's interesting. I didn't see the 350 flue temp posted. So you really have to keep the stove temp high to keep the flue temp over the 250 where creosote starts to form...?

It depends on the weather. I think it has to do with it being a shorter outside chimney. The stove is designed a bit different than I would do it, but it works. I have been thinking about changing it, but I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do it without too much work.

This stove has 3 running modes. The first is direct vent from firebox to flue. The second is across the stovetop to the flue. The third is under the oven, up the side, and then across the top to the flue. The extra turns reduce the effective draft. I think a 25' or taller chimney would be good, but then the flue gasses might cool too much.

We have thought about putting in a regular stove with secondaries, but we like the food that comes from this one. You can't bake bread very well in a regular stove, lol. And the turkey and ham that this one makes.....wow. And the cookies! Oh my holy wow.....

Reactions: SpaceBus
It depends on the weather. I think it has to do with it being a shorter outside chimney. The stove is designed a bit different than I would do it, but it works. I have been thinking about changing it, but I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do it without too much work.

This stove has 3 running modes. The first is direct vent from firebox to flue. The second is across the stovetop to the flue. The third is under the oven, up the side, and then across the top to the flue. The extra turns reduce the effective draft. I think a 25' or taller chimney would be good, but then the flue gasses might cool too much.

We have thought about putting in a regular stove with secondaries, but we like the food that comes from this one. You can't bake bread very well in a regular stove, lol. And the turkey and ham that this one makes.....wow. And the cookies! Oh my holy wow.....
I will never go back, but we have two stoves. The cooker could maybe heat the house, but I would be loading every four hours.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
The stove is just cruising along and I am headed to bed. A nice dull glow on the top.
It has a few sticks of maple and a couple pieces of elm In it. Should be nice and toasty in the morning.
That is too hot. It's overfiring the stove in the areas that are glowing, regardless of the flue temp. When I heated with a wood cook stove it never glowed red. Our little Jotul has a couple of times, but that was due to my space out, not the stove.

Last edited:
Isaac is this a prank post? I think you are pulling our leg.

Reactions: SpaceBus
My smoke detector usually goes off when I accidentally overfire as the paint is cooking off. I have seen the top start to glow once and it put the fear of God in me and I never let that happen again.

There is no paint on this one. It is covered with ceramic glazed panels. We tried seasoning the top, but it just burns off.
Normal average running temp is 750-800. If we sand the top, you can watch the pretty rainbow spread across the steel as it changes temp.
It's pretty cool to see the tempering range on a 4 ft piece of boiler plate. Everything from light straw through the yellows, blues, and into grey. The rainbow is pretty much gone after 1-2 days, but it looks really cool. I have a picture of it somewhere. I might have to sand it again just to get a new picture.

1000 is way to hot you are asking for trouble

It has run this way since we got it. The top is ~800 right now. There is no baffle in it, so the top gets hotter than a secondary stove.