Stovetop is running ~1,000F tonight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yeah, we're runnin' a little bit hot tonight.
I can barely see the road from the heat comin' off -- know what I'm sayin'.uhh,
I reach down between my legs n' ease the seat back

Van Halen at its finest

My grandmother taught me to gauge proper woodstove temperature by putting all the lights out and adjusting the air until the flue collar was just barely glowing.

Same woman who had the fire department to her house twice that I know of because she felt that it was practical and effective to dispose of her old xmas tree and clean the chimney at the same time by stuffing said tree up the flue of her large open fireplace and letting her rip... (that large open fireplace was on the opposite end of the house from the woodstove, and was the primary reason that the woodstove had to run so hot in the first place.)

Reactions: stoveliker
My grandmother taught me to gauge proper woodstove temperature by putting all the lights out and adjusting the air until the flue collar was just barely glowing.

Same woman who had the fire department to her house twice that I know of because she felt that it was practical and effective to dispose of her old xmas tree and clean the chimney at the same time by stuffing said tree up the flue of her large open fireplace and letting her rip... (that large open fireplace was on the opposite end of the house from the woodstove, and was the primary reason that the woodstove had to run so hot in the first place.)

My grandfather in law sent us an old 60's wood burning guide. It suggests using small fir and spruce trees with a rope to pull it through the flue.

1000 degrees and a dull glow....are you cooking ham or smelting ore. I’ll be following this one

Stovetop is running ~1,000F tonight

In 1953 my wife's grandfather bought their first house, a real fixer-upper, there was still a partially burned tree trunk in the fireplace, the other end sticking out of an open window.

Reactions: stoveliker
Yes we do Dave

I probably could smelt ore in there....the bricks glow when it's cruising. The only way to reduce the stovetop temp is to install an insulated baffle under it, but then I lose my ability to instantly boil a pot of water.

It's a good stove and we don't always run it that hot, but 700-850 is pretty normal. There is no secondary air, but I have thought about adding it. The new versions have it but I don't know how well it works.

Reactions: MMH
My grandfather in law sent us an old 60's wood burning guide. It suggests using small fir and spruce trees with a rope to pull it through the flue.
My stepfather had a similar process for flue cleaning, except instead of small trees, it involved a live chicken!!_g:eek:

My stepfather had a similar process for flue cleaning, except instead of small trees, it involved a live chicken!!_g:eek:
Did he really do it?! That sounds amazing and horrible at the same time.

Cook stove running that hot? Best you can do is get the cast iron griddle out and make some ny strip steaks

Reactions: Isaac Carlson