Strange Hissing like sound????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Stove is burning at about 500 °F with nothing but Ash in it. It seems from the middle of the stack there is a strange hissing like sound. Well, this is a first. The only thing I can think of is its the wood letting out a bit of moisture. What else may it be guys???? Glass is clear and damper is at 3. Confused....

Yep. Moisture in the wood.

You may have answered your own question. It may just be the wood. Either releasing gases, or perhaps alittle wet still. I have heard this, but it was coming from in between my steamer pot and the stove, after washing the pot. Has it rained or snowed lately? Your chimney cap is on ok? Others will chime in.

Everything seems fine. They read all under 20% with a high of 18%. Now that I think of it...they were pretty big splits. Cut and split about 3 months ago.

Wood....wet......hisssss

3 Months ago? Sounds like wet wood to me.

If it was cut and split three months ago I can guarantee it's the wood. The surface of the wood may read 18-20% MC but that wood is definately not seasoned if it was just cut and split!

You have some wet wood.

If you need to burn wet wood it would be a good idea to keep an eye the chimney for creosote.

Like the others have stated "wet wood". However, have you been to Madagascar lately?!

Attachments

• hissing_roaches.jpg
    hissing_roaches.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 598
My Wife ?? LOL

NordicSplitter said:
Stove is burning at about 500 °F with nothing but Ash in it. It seems from the middle of the stack there is a strange hissing like sound. ...

NordicSplitter said:
Everything seems fine. They read all under 20% with a high of 18%. Now that I think of it...they were pretty big splits. Cut and split about 3 months ago.

This is exactly what I refer to when people like to throw around the numbers from a MM. Cut and split 3 months ago? Under 20%. That's pretty good. I still go by my recommendation of getting yourself 2-3 years ahead on your wood supply. You won't even have to bother checking the moisture content. It will be ready to burn and you will be amazed at how much more heat you get and how much less wood you'll burn. No problems getting the fire going; no hissing (well, maybe from a snake); no dirty glass; no dirty chimney, etc., etc. I've never checked to see how much moisture our wood has, but I can pick out which wood is ready to burn. This is also why I sort out the oak wood. We give oak 3 years to dry. If not, it gives a poor fire and dirties up things a bit. Three years after spit, it burns great.

I have found that if I re-split a number of splits that were harvested, cut split and stacked at the same time, some of them might read 18-22%, and some might weigh in at 33-35%! Of course I do not cut my own wood, so there is some question as to when some of it was really harvested. Also, if the split is very large to begin with, it will not dry out at the same rate as a smaller piece. I had a huge piece in my pile when it was delivered, as big around as a medium tree trunk. When I put it on the manual splitter, it actually exuded water as the wedge was being driven in. That wood went way in the back of the stacks.

oldspark said:
Shut the woodburner down and wait 3 years.

Oh, Sparky, how cruel! :sick:

First there was Samuel L. Jackson and Snakes on a Plane . . . now coming this Spring to a theater near you . . . Snakes in a Jotul . . . featuring Nordic Splitter. ;)

Or would that be Nordic Spitter?

On a more serious note.........last night I threw in some ash from the very same stack.....no hissing. I think there may have been a few bigger splits that just have some moisture left. Well at I know for sure what the hissing was.

NordicSplitter said:
Cut and split 3 months ago with readings under 20%! You maybe witness to a miracle? Maybe that wood speaks too?

gzecc said:
NordicSplitter said:
Cut and split 3 months ago with readings under 20%! You maybe witness to a miracle? Maybe that wood speaks too?
Be nice to know a few more details on the condition of the wood and how he took the reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.