strange sound

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davevassar

Oct 30, 2007
South Central MA
I had my fall cleaning done on Friday, the guys that did it were awesome. We fired it up and all seemed well, until a little while later, I started hearing this whining sound comeing from the stove, almost like a metal on metal grinding, but not. IT startts when I turn it on, and doesn't increase when I turn the stove up, it's just steady. Any ideas what it could be?

Dial a fire or digital control? Either way I am guessing the exhaust/combustion blower. Hopefully they pulled and cleaned it, If not there may be something in the exhaust housing from the cleaning.

Digital, so I guess I should call them to have them come take a look? I'm not really handy with it, otherwise I'd try to get in there, any other options?

Thanks

Since you didn't hear this previous to them cleaning the stove, it seems pretty obvious that something they did while cleaning has changed the stove. Did they remove the blowers to clean them?

You can get a decent mechanics stethoscope at Advance Auto or similar for under $10. They really are handy for zeroing in on things like that. The long end makes reaching into those ugly places a lot easier. That will help you locate exactly where it is coming from with all the other background motor and auger sounds present.

I would say since the noise occured after they did the work , call them up and have them come back and fix it because it sounds like they may have left something loose in there but thats what I'd do if you arent handy enough to get in there and tinker with it. Sounds like the combustion blower fan scraping as it spins since you say its there from the start.

thanks guys. I called and they're coming to have a look. He says it might be the bearings, it's getting worse now, which makes me believe that. It's almost like a grinding noise at time.

Status
Not open for further replies.