Stubborn pipe connection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ffaust

Nov 17, 2008
Central MD
Hello All,
My question involves an 8" pipe and the connecting whole in the back of the stove. I'm new to wood stove ownership and the house we now own is in the process of getting a new pipe for the wood stove. The layout of the pipe is very simple: an elbow coming out of the stove, a 12" vertical piece with the damper, and another elbow going into and up the chimney. All these pieces were rusted and the damper needed replaced so I decided to buy all new and replace everything. Getting the old off was relatively easy but when I went to connect the new elbow to the stove I found myself getting very frustrated with trying to fit an 8" elbow around a whole that was supposed to accept an 8 " elbow. It's almost like I need just another 1/8" of an inch to get that thing on there. Are there any tricks or potions that will help me get this thing on. I've tried using a small screwdriver like a shoe horn but all that does is make me more aggravated. I've tried snipping the metal just a bit and folding out the outside edge to try and give it a wider opening for placing it around the back of the stove. I ended up buying a new piece of pipe after that attempt. Should I try heating it to expand the metal or will that compromise the seal to stove somehow? Anything you can tell me will be a help! Thanks!

It sounds like you're trying to get the female (non-crimped) end over the stove collar ?
The crimped ends should always be down (torward the fire, not the chimney cap).
I think you'll find that a crimped end fits nicely into your stove collar.

I am having the same problem trying to connect double wall stove pipe to the snout on the T. The T is just slightly large. Good luck, if I figure it out I will let you know. I may put a 1 inch slit in the snout if I can't get it to work. Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.