Stumped - update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schortie

Nov 6, 2008
michigan
A farmer down the road had a big tree dropped a month a go. I stopped by and asked him if was going to use it. He said that he is now too "mature" to heat with wood, but if his grandson didn't want it, he'd let me know. He called the other day and said that if I wanted, I could come by and cut it up. When I got there today, he said that he wanted it cut into quarters so he could move it with his tractor. I told him that if I was going to take that I'd need to cut it smaller into rounds I could put in my trailer. He looked at me funny and said that I could come pick it up in a couple months. He just wanted it sliced into four lengths for now. ????

He's into his deep seventies at least but really has it together - he still runs and works his own farm. He also has a lot of wood around, and I want to be in his good graces. So, I just nodded my head, cut the log into four 10-15' lengths, asked him to give me a call when he wanted me to pick it up, and drove away with an empty trailer. I guess I'll just sit by the pone and wait for a call.

Wanna bet it ain't there "in a couple of months?" Sounds like he is too "mature" to run a chain saw too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wait it out - sometimes things take a while but they come thru when you meet good people. he'll come thru....

dont kow what to say to that? who knows.

I'd be pretty surprised if he was just using me to cut it up. My past experiences with him have been positive, and I'm sure he has plenty of connections with folks who would have cut up the log. If I'm wrong, oh well, I helped out a neighbor for fifteen minutes. The whole thing just struck me as very odd.

schortie said:
I'd be pretty surprised if he was just using me to cut it up. My past experiences with him have been positive, and I'm sure he has plenty of connections with folks who would have cut up the log. If I'm wrong, oh well, I helped out a neighbor for fifteen minutes. The whole thing just struck me as very odd.

thats the way I would look at it.

that's the way I see it too, he's probably still wondering why anybody would want to cut wood in the spring when everbody has always cut wood in the late fall and winter.

When dealing with old people and especially old farmers, maybe it helps to behave like you're in a foreign country, you don't always know when they're nuts and when you're nuts, sometimes they're a little off the mark and sometimes you miss what seems abundantly obvious to them.

Is it possible he is cutting and splitting it for you? And he just wanted to move the logs out of his yard to a place where he could do that? Then in a couple months he plans to have it all ready for you to pick up. If I didn't burn wood myself anymore, and somebody wanted some from a tree I had cut, I wouldn't mind doing a little cutting and splitting for them. I would enjoy it, if I was still able to do it.

A weird situation for sure. I'll be curious to see how this one ends. Hopefully you'll keep us posted on that.

quads said:
Is it possible he is cutting and splitting it for you? And he just wanted to move the logs out of his yard to a place where he could do that? Then in a couple months he plans to have it all ready for you to pick up. If I didn't burn wood myself anymore, and somebody wanted some from a tree I had cut, I wouldn't mind doing a little cutting and splitting for them. I would enjoy it, if I was still able to do it.

+1 You may be pleasantly surprised

Karma baby.....Karma!

Here's the main reason I don't believe the guy is pulling one over on you. . .

'round here if a 70+ yr-old man has 15 minutes worth of work that he can't do himself he simply asks his neighbor if he wouldn't mind cutting the tree up into 15-foot lengths. The neighbor will usually do the work expecting nothing in return other than the peace of mind that comes with knowing that someday he may be 70+ years old and would be glad to live in a neighborhood where all a guy has to do is ask.

The story seems strange, perhaps at that age he doesn't remember offering you the wood?

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
Here's the main reason I don't believe the guy is pulling one over on you. . .

'round here if a 70+ yr-old man has 15 minutes worth of work that he can't do himself he simply asks his neighbor if he wouldn't mind cutting the tree up into 15-foot lengths. The neighbor will usually do the work expecting nothing in return other than the peace of mind that comes with knowing that someday he may be 70+ years old and would be glad to live in a neighborhood where all a guy has to do is ask.

The story seems strange, perhaps at that age he doesn't remember offering you the wood?
Good point, wood what wood.

Maybe he wants to use those logs and is going to offer you some others. Maybe he needs those logs for cribbing or something else??

The 91 yr. old widow across the road needed a hand this morning.
She asked me what time it was while looking at her watch.
"About 10:30 I think."
"What time?"
"About 10:30."
"No, it's 15 to 11."
She's so old I didn't hit her but I gave her a good shove. :mad:

kenny chaos said:
The 91 yr. old widow across the road needed a hand this morning.
She asked me what time it was while looking at her watch.
"About 10:30 I think."
"What time?"
"About 10:30."
"No, it's 15 to 11."
She's so old I didn't hit her but I gave her a good shove. :mad:
she corrected you? that's backtalk. She shouldn't treat her elders like that. You should have said something, KC.

Thats a tough one. A tough old farmer might consider a few cuts a drop in the bucket for a younger man. I'd stop by one morning with some coffee and see if he has time to shoot the breeze and figure him out.

hareball said:
Thats a tough one. A tough old farmer might consider a few cuts a drop in the bucket for a younger man. I'd stop by one morning with some coffee and see if he has time to shoot the breeze and figure him out.

I think hes on the right track, the farmers around here come to me when there is something to big for them to handle before you know it you will have 30+ cords! And the phone still ringing....

schortie said:
A farmer down the road had a big tree dropped a month a go. I stopped by and asked him if was going to use it. He said that he is now too "mature" to heat with wood, but if his grandson didn't want it, he'd let me know. He called the other day and said that if I wanted, I could come by and cut it up. When I got there today, he said that he wanted it cut into quarters so he could move it with his tractor. I told him that if I was going to take that I'd need to cut it smaller into rounds I could put in my trailer. He looked at me funny and said that I could come pick it up in a couple months. He just wanted it sliced into four lengths for now. ????

He's into his deep seventies at least but really has it together - he still runs and works his own farm. He also has a lot of wood around, and I want to be in his good graces. So, I just nodded my head, cut the log into four 10-15' lengths, asked him to give me a call when he wanted me to pick it up, and drove away with an empty trailer. I guess I'll just sit by the pone and wait for a call.
Should have told him you were confused and ask him to explain the situtation, works for me.

Weird story, but looks like no harm done. It'll come back to you someday I'm sure.

weird story, but looks like no harm done. I'm sure it'll come back to you someday.

Wait and see what happens. You helped a neighbor out and got some saw time in. What could be better (okay maybe a little wood too...)

The farmer called me up the other day and asked me when I wanted him to drop off the logs. he pulled up today with five logs (I only cut the tree into fours) on the trailer. We both pushed them off the trailer and into my yard. I thanked him and told him that if there anything he needed help with to give me a call. He said that he'll need some help getting rid of the four or five trees that he'll be having cut this next winter. I told him that it sounded like a great plan.

I know I need to supply pics, but my camera is on the fritz. Perhaps I'll be able to get pics once it's cut and split.

schortie said:
The farmer called me up the other day and asked me when I wanted him to drop off the logs. he pulled up today with five logs (I only cut the tree into fours) on the trailer. We both pushed them off the trailer and into my yard. I thanked him and told him that if there anything he needed help with to give me a call. He said that he'll need some help getting rid of the four or five trees that he'll be having cut this next winter. I told him that it sounded like a great plan.

I know I need to supply pics, but my camera is on the fritz. Perhaps I'll be able to get pics once it's cut and split.

Good deal, I might have missed it in a previous post but what type of wood was it?

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.