Successful Heritage first burns...I think

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

strawman

Oct 25, 2008
Central WI
Heritage was delivered a few days ago and I finished the install. Had first break-in fire the other day. Followed the manuals' instructions. Just used kindling with one small split. Primary full open til stones on top warmed (surprisingly fast) then closed primary. Everything seemed to work great. No draft problem and flames noticably reduced on closing primary going out soon after. However, stone temp continued to rise till they were hot to the touch. I have a probe thermometer installed that went to about 400. Have had 2 more similar fires that I tried to keep a bit cooler. I've scanned closely inside and out and see no indication of a problem. Any thoughts on this or something specific to look for that may indicate the first burn got too hot?
Also I had no smoking or odors from the stove or dbl wall piping. Everything is new so this seems a bit out of the ordinary.
Still working on getting a stove-top thermometer. Any recommendations and where to purchase would be greatly appreciated. Are there non-magnetic ones out there and does it make a difference on soapstone?
Took some pics and and hope to post them as soon as the wife gets a chance to show me how.
Have had lots of help from you folks duing this project. Many thankx

Sounds fine. Start building a bit larger fires with 2, then 3 splits.

I'm anxious to see your pics and look for that appliance adapter. Did they use it?

I use a magnetic rutland meter on my stove top. You can buy these at the local hardware store for like 12$. It obviously doesn't stick but the metal touches the stove and be careful not to scratch your stove with it. You need this ASAP and should have had it before these first fires.

I didn't notice much burn-off at all when I started my heritage with simpson double wall. Maybe their paint is better. I did notice the smell of a pancake griddle, just hot metal, during the break in fires. No visible smoke.

The heritage hasn't been the victim of cracks on this forum so often as the smaller tribute and homestead. Maybe they are more resistant due to their construction. Nothing you can do now anyways, just complete the break in sequence once you get a meter so that you can measure the stove temp.

I checked different places and no one had or could recommend a stove top "specific" thermometer. I purchased a Condar Chimgard model 3-4. Noticed the package had a phone number to Condar . Got thru very quickly to "product information". I asked about this thermometer used on a soapstone stove-top. He said this model is calibrated for stove pipe use not stove top. He said the "medallion" model is calibrated for stove top use. It states in the info on the medallion that it is for pipe "or" top use. If there are different calibrations for each, how can it be used for both? When I brought this to his attention, he said it's difficult to explain but this is the thermometer you want. Same price so I ordered it. I'll try both side by side and see before I return the Chimgard.
HB, I see what you mean about the simpson stove adapter fitting loose. That's the brand they carry where I bought the stove and he said they "cement the adapter on the stove". I said "Thank you--no". Decided to do the install myself. Went to a neighboring dealer who was more knowledgable and way helpful especially as I bought the stove elsewhere. Anyway, I ended up getting my piping there. They sell Amerivent (see www.americanmetalproducts.com) Their adapter (model #6DCC-SA-BK) fits snug as a bug in a rug completely over the stove collar. And price? My stove dealer wanted $120 for a dbl wall 90. Got mine for $74. I'm gonna try posting pictures to this.

Couldn't get pics to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.