Suggest a stove with very low clearances?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aries339

Dec 22, 2010
Chicago Area
I currently have a Morso 1440, with a required clearance of only 6 inches to the back wall and 8 inches to side wall. (double walled pipe).

Think I could go to a Morso 3440? The required clearances for that are 8 inches back and side, for single walled pipe. If I keep the double walled pipe, could I cut it down to 6 and 8? The manual doesn't specify clearances for double wall.

Any other ideas for low-clearance options? I don't have much room.

Thanks!!

Don't you need 8" sides and rear, 16" on the front of hearth protection on ALL stoves regardless of how close they can get to combustibles? And if so, wouldn't that mean if you have it 6" from the wall that you obviously don't have 8" of floor protection on that side?

joecool85 said:
Don't you need 8" sides and rear, 16" on the front of hearth protection on ALL stoves regardless of how close they can get to combustibles? And if so, wouldn't that mean if you have it 6" from the wall that you obviously don't have 8" of floor protection on that side?

It appears I may have answered my own question by looking at the Chinook manual. Evidently if the manual states less hearth protection you are good to go. I'd still be leary and not sure my local codes guy would be happy with less than 8/8/8/16.

joecool85 said:

Not if the stove has been tested for less. Some convection stoves with good shielding are rated less. For example, with double-wall connector, the Napoleon 1100 is 2" from corner, or 6" from rear and 10" from sides.

Code:
It appears I may have answered my own question by looking at the Chinook manual. Evidently if the manual states less hearth protection you are good to go. I’d still be leary and not sure my local codes guy would be happy with less than 8/8/8/16.
I think you will be fine. Any code official who knows anything will know that a UL tested certification takes precedence over the standard. Give him the benefit of the doubt until you find out otherwise.

The BK Chinook CBT has pretty tight clearances as someone said above. Off the top of my head, the Napoleon 1400CL Steel/Cast Hybrid has really small clearances too (4 or 5 inches I think.)

Lopi Endeavor, 4 1/4 inches rear clearance with double wall pipe.

I am also considering a tight clearance install, looked at the morsos and really like the look but i am hating some of the split lengths. currently considering the englander 17 vl. 12 " backwall clearance with double wall, plus only a 12.5 " depth brings it close to the wall if I could find one in n. jersey "to kind of kick the tires" it would help me decide. also about a third of the price helps that decision. I only need it to take the chill out of a 600 sq-ft area my regency 2400 insert can't seem to reach through a narrow doorway anyone with other tight install stoves ideas I would to check them out. ADDED BONUS I heard a rumor about free Tshirt's with englander purchases

Status
Not open for further replies.